Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Autumn, schmautumn

Hi! All you bloggers who are celebrating their Rogue sweaters and fall colors and brisk weather and whatnot? I invite you, for just one moment, to get a sense of what it feels like in Austin right now:



Forgive me for sounding bitter. But in Chicago, which is where I'm from, it's in the lovely 70s and people are shopping for lovely fall tweeds and corduroys.

Not here. If you don't believe me, surf on over to our local news website. Supposedly, officially, it was 102 today, although I would hazard a guess closer to 106. Tomorrow, the same. Those of us who went to the Austin City Limits festival in Zilker Park this weekend may find that their experience mirrored this anima sola image quite literally. Those of us who decided to forego that roasting-in-the-blazing-sun-for-three-full-days-in-a-row happy fun time stayed indoors as much as possible directly underneath or in front of the AC.

Yet we all have to leave our cool interiors sometime, and walking around campus, up and down hills (oh! I yearn for the flat campuses of Illinois and Iowa!) I really felt like UT was my own special little corner of hell. Especially when you walk around and next to the shuttle buses, ya know what I mean?

Here's the definition of purgatory, according to the Houghton Mifflin Co.:

pur·ga·to·ry (pûr'gə-tôr'ē, -tōr'ē)
n., pl. -ries.
1. Roman Catholic Church. A state in which the souls of those who have died in grace must expiate their sins.
2. A place or condition of suffering, expiation, or remorse: a purgatory of drug abuse.

Yep, I would say that numero dos applies pretty well here. Suffering, check. Remorse for having moved to Texas, absolutely. (Yes, yes, I know I heart Austin, but I don't have to love the sizzle my flesh makes every time it makes contact with my car door.)

This may be another reason I don't get the whole sock phenomenon. Sockapalooza this, socktwopalooza that. I love the idea of sock yarn, sure. I even knitted a pair, just to see what the fuss was about. They came out, eh, OK, but I've never worn them because, well, reference again the picture provided above. Flip flops are pretty de rigeur around here, and if I really had the money to spend on sock yarn, a more practical use for the cash would be pedicures. And there ain't nothing wrong with a gooood pedicure.

Y'all. I finished Orangina. Pictures to come tomorrow!!!

3 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

HA! OK, I won't mock, because I would be weeping with pain and fear if I were in 105-degree weather at the end of September--but I will say that it's true that I live in a much more knitting-appropriate climate now, and that is a Good Thing. On the other hand, I have no friends and no breakfast tacos. So, you know--tradeoffs.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can come here if you want. It's going to be only 56 degrees tomarrow. Brrr.

I wouldn't be able to stand that heat. I'm a wimp, and you are brave to live there. ;)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

You know you always have a home in Chicago! Miss M even has an extra bedroom. I know this too shall pass as you truly are embedded in all things Austin. Just keep knitting tanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home