Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Austin's First Family

These pictures are kinda old, but I thought y'all might still get a kick out of them.



On October 2, Sheryl Crow gave a FREE concert on Auditorium Shores here in Austin to help Lance Armstrong celebrate his 9th anniversary of his cancer diagnosis. Of course, he's now cancer-free and won his 7th Tour de France this year. Amazing. I know there are differing opinions out there about Lance (some having to do with drugs and performance), but how can you argue with the absolute hard work it must have taken him to win...SEVEN FREAKIN Tours de France!

Anyway, now that he and Sheryl are engaged, they've been talking about making Austin their home, at least part-time. There's even a marquee someone set up on South Congress that says "Sheryl for First Lady" (and probably Lance for President on the other side, but I didn't catch that side on my drive down). So my roomie and I were speculating/fantasizing about catching Sheryl shopping on South Congress or giving little impromptu shows around town. Sigh. Yes, I am a total groupie for Sheryl. She's such a badass...she's what I want to be when I grow up. I will wear an outfit like that to my dissertation defense, yes I will.

Here's Lance introducing her, with the newish Frost Bank tower in the background.



And here she is surrounded by munchkins.



Lance has three kids, and swear to GOD, they were swarming all over the stage. Lance tried to pull them off, until they finally gave up and let them have the run of the place. I guess there were other kids backstage, because they all came out and pretty soon it was Romper Room up there. Don't get me wrong, I love kids and his are pretty damn cute, but all could think of as they dangled their legs over the stage was....someone pull that kid back! they're gonna fall 9 feet! The other thing I couldn't stop thinking was that, if that were ME up there and my MOM was in the wings, she would have yanked me off the stage by the ear and whispered, espera nomas hasta que lleguemos a la casa (just wait until we get home!). Yep, I'd be thinking twice about lifting my new pink dress over my head onstage ever again.

Here's Lance on the drums! He joked that he's just learned how to play, and when Sheryl heard how good he was getting, she refused to speak to him for three hours.



Again, he had several kids hanging off him as he played, so I'm doubly impressed with his drumming skillz.

Plus, here's a little bonus for you out-of-towners:



Austin's own hometown honeyboy, Bob Schneider. Dreamboat looks and a voice like velvet. He used to date Sandra Bullock and had a song on the soundrack for Hope Floats, if any of y'all remember that movie. Sheryl wondered aloud how Bob's not famous yet, and I agree, but if he were, he wouldn't be ours anymore. I'm just a little selfish like that.

4 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Again! Cool post! That Bob Schneider. Looks to be seriously cute. I dig the tall dark types.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

someone's digging her digital camera...

So the Crow-Armstrong's are going to be your neighbors huh?

btw, love the 'site updates!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger thedirtyknitter said...

i am a HUGE bob fan...was surprised to see him on your blog! yay for bob! never miss the boys when they come to kansas city...although now billy harvey's off on his own...i won't ever see him again!
:( unless i make my way down there!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Olga said...

hey, dirtyknitter!

you didn't leave an email address, so I can't reply to you personally...but yeah! bob schneider! and that would explain why I haven't seen Billy Harvey at the last couple of shows...I harbor a secret crush on him, since I figure he's probably got fewer groupies than bob and therefore I have a chance. Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home