Saturday, October 01, 2005

Your Opinion Urgently Needed!

I am facing a knitting dilemma. I'm going to a wedding in San Diego in about a month, and I plan to wear this:



It doesn't look like much on the hanger, but it's real pretty on. It's got gold thread in the lace, and the lining is taupe.

I've never been to San Diego, but I imagine that I will need a wrap, because it is by the ocean. And of course, I have decided, a mere 27 days before the date, that I want to knit one.

I know that 27 days sounds like plenty to many of you all, but I knit at a glacier's pace, in addition of having the bother of going to class and working and all that stuff. So, I know I must be certifiable to want to do this, but I need to ask your opinion on several different options.

I want something airy, yet warm. I have some Plymouth Outback Mohair on hand, but am willing to buy yarn to suit the project. Most importantly, I looked for patterns that didn't seem too time consuming. I came up with the following:

Spiderweb Capelet from Stitch and Bitch Nation


Flower Basket Shawl from IK Fall 2004



Lacy Kerchief Scarf from IK Summer 2005



Clapotis from Knitty (you all know what the Clap looks like; I must be the only person in the knitting universe who hasn't made one)



Variation on a Frill from Knitty




Opera Scarf from Blue Sky Alpaca (I would knit this a little wider to make a stole)



There's also another project in the Summer 2005 IK, which is sort of a moebius cowl/capelet. I didn't take a picture, but it's a loose, airy fisherman's rib knit made of mohair (and I can use the Plymouth Mohair for this, bonus.)

Basically, the questions to consider when weighing these matter-of-life-or-death choices are these:

Can I finish it in time?
If I make a lace wrap, will it clash with the lace of the dress?
Should I stop hitting the crack pipe and hie on over to Nordstrom to get something nice and, um, finished?

I would love y'all's opinion on this. Have any of you made any of these pieces? Do you have an E.T.A. for me? Be careful with your answer...it could mean a month's worth of knitting time that would otherwise be spent on other projects. Like making a poncho for a certain niece. Do I dare allow my little girl to brave the blustery weather of L.A. for just a while longer, while I whip up this little project for my selfish self?

6 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for the caplet and the flowerbasket.
I've made the fbs, and the clapper. Love them both. The caplet is really cute and would look good with that spectacular dress you got going on. But me, I'm not so fashion savvy, so you might want to hear what others say.

I'm sure your cute little niece can wait a wee longer.....

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Don't worry about your niece. She won't be able to wear a poncho in LA until at least Christmas! ;)

OK, I do not think that lace would clash with the dress, as long as the color of the wrap is subdued and similar to the colors in the dress (or the lining).

We've all seen the Clap? Speak for yourself. Haha, just kidding. I think Clapotis might take longer than you would think to finish. I liked the flowerbasket. Also the Opera scarf.

I say, give it a shot. You can always go to Nordstrom the day before you leave for the wedding, and you'll still (eventually) have a nice wrap that will go with many things.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've made the spiderweb capelet and it was a really quick knit - definitely less than a week to make. So I'd go for that - it would look super cute with the dress, and it's a great fun project overall. Just make sure you get the corrections to the pattern from the Stitch 'n Bitch site and you're golden. Plus I only used one ball of the Crystal Palace Merino Frappe, which puts the total cost at around $10.

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - I stumbled upon your blog as I was looking for interesting things to knit... My .02: I'd go with the capelet or the Flower Basket Shawl - they both look a bit complex in terms of pattern, but neither is yards long which is what I'd worry about given your time constraints. Good luck! I'll be back. :)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger lucia said...

I vote lacy kerchief!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi...I just happened upon your blog for the first time.

I am currently making the lacy kerchief for a gift for someone...very simple as the lace is only along the edge.

I stink at lace, and it is STILL going pretty quickly and turning out OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home