Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Loot!

I was like a little kid waiting for the mailman on Saturday. Because I had a feeling that some of this might come in that day:



Oh, yeeeaaaahhh. It was glorious, simply glorious to come down and see not one, but two beautiful Priority Mail packages nestled at my door, and that magical yellow DSW reward certificate peeking ot of the box. Wow! Did I really spend that much on shoes....who cares? Free money!

My Snow Watch 2005 goodies came in from Ashley--the Knitpicks Shimmer in...Happy Dance colors! A more appropriate name couldn't be found, because that's exactly what I was doing when I opened the package.

Aren't these colors fantastic? They're exactly what I would have picked out for myself. She also sent two skeins of some lovely superwash wool in a pretty green, which I am determined to turn into socks. Because, believe it or not, you can wear wool socks in Austin! For about two weeks this winter, it will be cold enough to wear them out, and since my feet get cold at night, well, I'll be wearing them pretty much unti...February.

I also got the lavender Baby Cashmere yarn and the Flared Smoke Ring pattern from Elann for my mom's Christmas present. I cast on for it, but there just ain't that much to show yet, because I only knit one round. I've knit lots of lace before, but never with laceweight. Does it still count as lace? This yarn, so soft and pretty and just a mere slip of a yarn, feels slightly strange in my hand, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. I'm wondering if I'll polish off this project as quickly as Eunny did, though!

The reason I haven't made much progress there is because I've been working on the other holiday gift on my list (yep, there are only two, I've decided that my mental health is kinda important to me).



I'm making this Chameleon Hat for my dad, from the Encyclopedia of Knitting, out of Mission Falls 1824 Superwash. I love the yarn (which is being discontinued! boo! hiss!), and the rib pattern is making the fabric really thick and squishy, which will be perfect for Chicago, because the entire bottom half appears to get folded up for a brim, so this hat will really be warm.

But...it just looks ginormous. I have my doubts....I will spit and kick and pull out my hair if I have to frog this thing, just because that rib pattern is such a pain in the you know what. Every two rows, the pattern changes, so I can't just mindlessly knit while watching Desperate Housewives. So, we shall see. We shall see.

In the spirit of the holidays, which has now descended upon us with full fury and intensity in its full glory, here is a shot of the Congress Avenue holiday lights and the State Capitol. This one's for Ashley...Austin misses you!



I took this out the sunroof of my car. Don't worry, no one got hit or run over in this photojournalistic expedition. Happy knitting, everyone!

5 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger chris said...

What a haul! I would've been doing a happy dance, too. I have that same Happy Dance, waiting in a box till I have the skills to do it justice. You have cold feet, too? I know people on the East coast laugh when I say that it gets cold enough to wear socks in HI, but really, it does! So I definitely hear you on that one. The hat for your dad looks wonderful! It really looks warm and snuggly, and with him living in Chicago, I'm certain it'll come in handy. And Desperate Housewives, eh? ;-) I guess we've all got our guilty pleasures. Lord help me, I'm an American Idol junkie! :-)

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice choice of yarn. I like the hat pattern very much, hope your dad likes it too, and that it fits. Good luck!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Woo! Awesome loot! How did I miss this post? D#$% Bloglines! Anyway, that hat looks great. It doesn't look too ginormous in the picture.

I agree, boo hiss re: discontinuing MF 1824 Wool. That stuff rocks, as far as I'm concerned.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Tear. Sniff. IwanttheprettyCongresslightsandtheZilker treeandatacooooooooooooo.

Ahem. Whine over.

By the way, it's not that I doubt your lace skills, but does anybody on the planet knit things as fast as Eunny does? Sheesh.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good yarn.

(Get it?)

(Well, do ya?)

Oh, boy. That's rich.
-Michael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home