Friday, December 16, 2005

Back in business.

You would think that I'd just found a new lover.

I pined away in its absence. I eagerly awaited the arrival of its newest incarnation. When it came to my door, I tore off its wrappings. I haven't been able to keep my hands off it since. I even insisted on a portrait of the two of us.




Yes, friends, the cell phone saga has now culminated in a happy conclusion. I waited all of Wednesday morning for the Fedex man, and when I bounded down the stairs, I'm sure he had no idea why I was so flipping happy. Maybe he thought there were illicit drugs stashed away in the package.

And in a way, my new toy does give me quite a buzz. Who knew I could be such a techno-geek? This Sony Ericsson is the nicest phone I've owned to date--it has a camera! That makes me so happy, I can't even tell you. Surf the net, check my email, text message people? Who cares! But having a camera at the ready to capture all kinds of random daily crap? Hooray!

I've been missing all of you as I wrapped up the last loose ends of the semester...I snuck peeks at my Bloglines, but didn't have much time to comment on anyone's blogs. Not that I've seen many new posts...but, what's that? Piece of *&*(&#$@! Bloglines hasn't been showing new posts?!!! Anyway, I was able to read enough to feed my addiction and keep my going, until today, when I am officially on vacation!

Which is a subjective term--"vacation" meaning I get to go to Chicago and try to keep on working on my dissertation prospectus, while I also attend to knitting my mom's flared smoke ring, which kinda fell by the wayside. It's too complicated for casual knitting, so I decided to take it home and spend good chunks of time working on it. It won't be a surprise for Christmas, then, but I also bought her a copy of Beyond the Sea, because she likes Bobby Darin, so that'll take care of the Santa Claus element.

My friends and I had our holiday farewell get-together, before we all scattered to the four winds. We had a holiday grab-bag-type of thing, and I ended up with this cool set of pirate playing cards, which come in a velvet pouch and with a lucky gold doubloon!

I learned to play poker last night (sort of)...and I love it! It was super fun, especially when you're betting with beans. As you can see, the wine made me reckless enough to bet away 10 beans at a time, but I did win one hand! Or round, or whatever it's called. Woo hoo! Momma needs a new pair of shoes!


(Yes, that is a little cheat sheet in the corner, helping me figure out what's better, a flush or a pair...don't laugh! I'm learning!)

Not a whole lot of knitting going on around here these days, but I did knock out this little cupcake hat for a friend's daughter:



In case you haven't been following the hatalong, this has been quite the hit! The pattern's at Chile con Yarne, and there's other adorable kids' hat patterns there, too. I knit it out of Caron Wintuk, which firmly reestablishes my ghetto knitter credibility after got on probee status with the Noro (Chris, you're a tough parole officer!). In the skein, the yarn feels soft, but I must say, that after knitting up enough of it, it acquired this....density. Like it would make a good potholder. Not very drapey, but for a first try at a kid's hat, where washability is paramount, I'd say it's a go.

And, as long as I had the camera out, I went ahead did the meme that's been going around, and took a picture of my knitting corner. I just bought this chair at the thrift store, and I love love love it!!! It's the perfect reading/knitting chair; my futon's fine for sitting and watching t.v., but it doesn't have the kind of back support that I need for my other two most beloved activities.



And, btw, because I'm sure you've noticed already, I went ahead and made some design changes. Laura's been getting so fancy with her banner that I decided I had to have something cooler than the boring old "Thataway Rose" Blogger template. I thought about knitting a scarf in the colors of the Mexican flag and using that as a graphic, but since that's not likely to happen anytime soon, I settled for this.

4 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger chris said...

Ooh, you've been renovating! I LOVE the new banner!! Spectacular! You and Laura have been getting all fancy schmancy on me with your new banners. ;-)Since the ghetto is all about conformity, I'll be enlisting both of you soon in helping me to transform my ode-to-green template. Congrats on the fabulous new phone! I know the two of you got off to a tenuous start (distance will do that to you), but it looks like things are coming along swimmingly now. I'm so happy for you!! No one deserves to have something wonderful happen to them more than you. :-) Your cupcake hat is adorable!! I'm definitely going to be snagging that pattern. Your Wintuk and bean- gambling have firmly re-established you in the ranks of the sisterhood. And awesome new chair, BTW! Why doesn't my thrift shop have great chairs like that? My rant about thrift shops is akin to yours about the mythical library knitting goodness. ;-) Best wishes on your prospectus...glad to hear that you have somewhat of a breather now. Enjoy your time at home and I hope your mom pampers and spoils you rotten. :-) Take care, sweetie!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

So happy you have your new phone and are just loving it. The new blog "upgrades" are terrific!! And I love the cupcake hat - so cute!! I'd love to knit one for my godson, but maybe cupcakes are too girly for little boys?

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love love love the new banner! You know, you could just knit a green/white/red swatch (those are the right colors, right?) and take a picture of that for your banner. Of course, then you might want to change your template but that's not that hard.

What kind of poker did you learn? My dad taught us all to play Texas Hold Em about two years ago. It is so fun. He wants me to enter tournaments with him but I stink. And my poker face is anything but!

Hope you enjoy all this cold when you come up north. We've been having a warm snap -- it's been in the mid-30s. Bust out the short sleeves! :)

BTW, I have your luck with knitting books at the library and Chris's at thrift shops. What's up with that?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

glad to hear the phone saga has a happy ending. and cute cupcake, too. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home