Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Winter Comes to Austin

As I sit here at my little library job, the announcement comes over the speaker that the University is closing at 2 pm due to inclement weather. This is the warning report from Yahoo Weather:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A
FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST
TONIGHT.

ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH ARE EXPECTED ON
BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND ELEVATED ROADS. LITTLE TO NO ACCUMULATION
OF ICE IS EXPECTED ELSEWHERE.

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

They are closing the entire University of Austin for freezing rain, y'all. This might either cause you to worry slightly or laugh your ass off, depending on which part of the country you're from.

I wish that at least I had a class scheduled that I'd get to miss! Sadly, I planned to get off of work at 2 anyway.

5 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amateurs. Come on, Olga, tell them what REAL winter is.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

You better bring all those hats you're knitting when you come to Chicago! Freezing rain -- I laugh at freezing rain!

You must be having a great time though, I bet there's almost NO traffic!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Early closings for freezing rain?? Freezing rain???? Are you kidding me? At my old job we were never closed - even when a state of emergency was declared!!!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, the annual Closing of the University Due To Freezing Rain. I remember it well. Now, apparently, I'm going to be lucky to get a snow day out of anything less than three feet. (Three feet in one night, that is. We're already up to about a foot of accumulation out there.)

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Be careful on the roads -- those Suth'ners don't understand winter driving! (Of course, it seems as though many people up here don't either, and they should be used to it!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home