Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What a difference a day makes.

I am overcoming my fear of knitalongs. I am famously unable to commit to a deadline for a project (unless it's a gift for someone, but then I reserve the right to gift-wrap a picture and a skein in lieu of a finished item).

Cover Your Head was my first dip into the pool. No deadlines, no pressure, just merrily knitting hats all day!

Today, friends, I signed up for TWO knitalongs! (And sort of signed up for a third.) This is how my day went:

11:01 PM, Central Standard Time:

Refresh, refresh, refresh on Alison's blog until the sign-up link showed up. What a freak I am!!! I can't even pay my bills on time, but I had to be the first one to sign up for Sockapaloooza. Laura's such an instigator...I hadn't even thought about doing this, but as soon as she mentioned it, I knew I had to do it. I'm a lemming, watch me jump! Even though I'm still a slow-poke when it comes to socks, the idea of having someone else make me a pair was just too tantalizing to pass up.



10:30 AM, Central Standard Time

Taking a break from work and checking bloglines, and finding this....Lolly's brilliant new idea for a knitalong:



This is the perfect way to start experimenting with colors, to find pleasure in unexpected combinations, and to look at the whole process more organically. You can knit, crochet, sew, take pictures, bake...anything you want! Well done!

7:30 PM Central Standard Time

My roommate and I have this weird social/asocial thing where we sit together in the living room and check our blogs simultaneously on our laptops, courtesy of our wireless hookup. (Can you just see it? Someone should take a picture.) So we're sitting here, with the Gilmore Girls in the background, and I find this. The perfect knitalong, tailor-made for me: The Homer Simpson Olympic Knitalong:



Where, if you're too lazy to sign up, you've already got the spirit of the thing.

6 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read, "I'm a lemming, watch me jump!" because I would have snorted it out my nose! :) That was too hilarious & just how I'm feeling right now with all the knitalongs! :)

*and that Homer Simpson KAL is to die for! :) I may come running mid-Olympics, beer in hand, saying how stupid I've been to even think I could knit a sweater in 16 days. . . . :)

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger chris said...

I'm with Amanda- it's a good thing I swallowed my gulp of water before reading the lemming line, or it would've ended up all over the monitor! First, gnomes and now, lemmings. You're on a roll! I love the whole social/asocial bit, too. I was so tempted to sign up for Sockapaloooza, but the idea of another knitter poring over my wraps and picked-up stitches makes my eczema itch. Then again, there's the part about receiving a lovely pair of hand-knitted socks, which remains quite appealing. I'm totally psyched about Lolly's KAL, too and I may just need in with the Homer Simpson one. ;-) Take care, Miss O! :-)

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Does this make me a Lead Lemming? I actually had the same concerns about Sockapaloooza as Chris. But then I referred to a magnet I have with this quote on it: "Ever notice that what the hell is always the right decision?" There ya go.

I'm doing Lolly's thing too! What a brilliant idea. I'm looking forward to trying to do non-knitting things, actually. Really fun.

I would like to report that I am trucking along on BL, but since I started over, I'm now on Row 15. Of the first pattern repeat. Doh!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm right there with you honey - I can't believe how many KAL's I've signed up for this month. But they all sound low pressure and fun - except that instead of the Homer Simpson KAL I really did do the Knitting Olympics - oh the pressure.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Marisa said...

Wow! Finally a knitalong I can do! Not that I will but, that urge to pick up the needles just keeps getting stronger...

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unlike the others, I was in mid-swig of my venti non-fat hazelnut latte when you hit me with the Lemming comment. :D Let's just say, "Ouch". Thanks for the link to Lolly's Color-along. I love my yarn, but I'm not a strong enough knitter to tackle some of the projects in the KALs. However, I am a proud member of the US Olympic Knitting Team. I'll be the one wearing water-wings knitting on the bunny hill. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home