Thursday, March 02, 2006

Odds and ends.

I'm sneaking in a post here when I'm really supposed to be doing my reading, but...

First of all, you have all probably heard about the news that's come out about Bush having been fully warned about the possibility of the levees breaching before Katrina ever hit. If not, you can read about it here.

All I have to say is, why is anyone surprised? Are we really surprised that the current president would lie about this with the full force of the Katrina devastation staring him in the face? And it would seem that Michael Brown, former head of FEMA, so recently crucified on national television, played a role in informing the president of the potential for disaster.

Maybe I'm just incredibly cynical, but I really think that watching "24" has prepared me for this eventuality. (I am only halfway kidding, here.) Watch this show, and you will be fully convinced that the public only gets about 1/50th of what goes on behind the scenes. The president is willing to sacrifice a mall full of innocent victims to nerve gas in order to try to nab the terrorists? The central terrorist unit uses not-so-kosher interrogation techniques with impunity? Que que? Not in this country, nope, wouldn't happen here. More and more, I'm thinking, yeah, of course it happens here, and not just with the current administration.

OK, if you're still with me and are secure in the knowledge that I'm not sitting in the corner chewing on a corner of my t-shirt....on to the knitting!

I've been complaining to Laura that I'm not thrilled with the latest issue of Interweave Knits. Not to say that there aren't some lovely things in this issue, but here are my beefs. TWO pairs of fingerless mitts? Come, on. A felted tote that's the exact same tote Leigh Radford published in these here pages a few issues ago (except, oh, this time there's intarsia!). And a KNITTED FANNY PACK? For the love of God! That's four patterns taking up space that could be devoted to new, original, interesting projects.

That's about enough with the complaining (except, OMG, someone give featured knitwear designer Robin Melanson a comb, please). I won't knit the bobbly short sleeve sweater on the cover because it would make me look like a linebacker, but I do love the two camisoles, and will probably think about knitting one of them soon (after all the deadline madness has passed).

As for my project update, I am now working on my roommate's shrug for the upcoming wedding, and am not convinced that I'm going to meet THAT particular deadline. Knitting away furiously, I warned her that there might be a chance that this would happen (pointing out, too, that she might not even need it because it's been in the 70s and 80s over the past few days).

Well, my mom offered me her green sweater while I was in California, she says. It wasn't the perfect color green, but it was nice. And I turned it down because I told her I had TOTAL confidence in your knitting skills. Oh, yeah, mom, Olga will definitely finish that shrug.

OK. Knit, knit, knit. Why am I even blogging? I should be knitting. But I had to tell you all for my ghetto knittaz out there, that the final choice for this project was Caron Simply Soft, bought at Hobby Lobby. The reason was partly because the color matched the green ribbon on her dress almost perfectly. But also? Pretty green cotton On Line yarn at the LYS was $12.99 a skein. Making total cost of this project come to just shy of $70.

Aw, hell naw! Plus, I'm starting to not like cotton for close fitting knitted items, cause it'll just get all saggy. The Caron, on the other hand, will have a nice memory, I think, and it has such a lovely sheen. It may pill eventually, but I don't think Jennifer will be wearing this shrug every day.

Anyway, progress pictures in the next post.

5 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Laura said...

OK, I see your point about the new IK. I agree about the fingerless mitts, felted tote (how many ways can you make a felted tote, really?), etc. I also thought the lace socks bore a striking resemblance to the Giotto socks from My Fashionable Life. The Winter Vogue Knitting also contains a Teva Durham "wrap" that is all-over woven cables that I have seen in AT LEAST three different places in only very slightly different versions. There are so many people out there creating interesting things, why do we need another pattern like these? So I totally agree.

24, man. That will mess with your head. Though I agree that we only know a fraction of what's going on. What's remarkable is how egregious the KNOWN stuff can be, and nobody cares. Have you seen the latest issue of Harpers?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Nancy Wetmore-Mathews said...

I totally agree with you on the lack of surprise. I mean really why is it even news? Although I do love the fact that it's on video tape. Knowing he's a liar and seeing it in the flesh (or on the tape as it were) are two different things.

Haven't seen the new Interweave but you're not the first blogger I've read this week to be under-impressed by it. Not really looking forward to getting mine.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'm not surprised about Bush knowing about Katrina - just surprised that no one seems to be getting pissed off enough about it. I am continually surprised by that! Probably need to watch "24" to become more cynical and jaded than I already am.

Incidentally, I just checked out your photos on Flickr and came across some projects I hadn't seen before - I love the little turquoise flowered dress and the tank top for your mom! Really cute - nice work.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, "24", how I love that show! The hubby and I were talking after the last episode about "I wonder how much of that really goes on without us ever knowing it?" Creepy.
And I second the opinion on the new IK. Seems familiar and just sort of ho-hum.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger chris said...

It doesn't surprise me at all. I haven't watched 24 (*ducks*), but I used to be a Tom Clancy nut, and I'm convinced that what the powers-that-be may know (and do!) is pretty extensive and scary. I wouldn't discount any seemingly ludicrous claims about the gov't! I still haven't checked out the Spring IK yet, but now I'm not in that big a hurry to do so. I know you can finish that shrug! Can't wait to see it and yay for Caron! Take care, O! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home