Thursday, March 09, 2006

Seeing red.

Those of you signed up for Project Spectrum are well aware that the colors for March are red and pink. Luckily for me, red is my most favorite color of all time. Pink, being closely related to red, is also a color I like, but red has my heart.

I haven't blogged yet about my Project Spectrum project, simply because I've been trying to get photos of all my favorite red things (both inside and outside my home). It turns out Margene was reading my mind, because she's devised a meme to this effect, sort of (she only asks you to find red stuff in your home).


My treasured Rufino Tamayo poster of "Sandias," bought in Mexico City when I was probably about 20, and carted with me to every place I've lived in. The glass broke in the frame after one of the moves, and left scratches on the paper, but ultimately I prefer it this way (I think the scratches give it character and the absence of glass makes it much easier to move).


The best little toy store in the world. Right here in Austin! Fun for kids AND grown-ups!


My red corduroy jacket.


One of a set of chairs I bought from Ikea. I painted it myself, not realizing until later that they actually offered this chair in red. So what! I loved painting them, and even thought about having a painting party and having friends come over and paint designs on them and then I'd have a memento of each of them, forever. As you can see, that never happened. But I like the blue cushion (also Ikea) with the red, don't you?

Also, at the Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Library at the University of Texas, where I eke out my living, there is an exhibition mounted of George O. Jackson's photographs of Mexican community festivals in the 1990s. The colors are just amazing in this collection, entitled Embrujo Mexicano. I would have uploaded a few here, but worried about copyright, I just decided to direct you here. The ones that use red vividly are Cuaresma 2000, Danzando en el Fuego 1996, and Bailando antes de la Iglesia 1994.

So, drunk with my recent sewing success, I've decided to give this a shot as my Project Spectrum project:



I remembered that I bought this fabric on clearance, and it just happens to fit in perfectly with the color theme this month.

I won't be posting for a while, in all likelihood, because Jennifer and I are...drumroll please...going to New York next week! For spring break! I can't wait; I lived there for most of my twenties and am dying for a visit. I just want to walk, and walk, and have a hot dog, and walk some more. In between, we'll check out the new MOMA, and visit Lady Liberty, and attend a taping of The View. If Elizabeth Hasselbeck even breathes Dubya's name, I plan to heckle her. Loudly.

5 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Ok, O, I need to hear the end of the joke. I love your red things! Have fun in NYC!

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger chris said...

Love your red corduroy jacket and IKEA chair! We bought a wooden table and chairs for the kids, intending to do a DIY paint/collage thing, too. They're still brown. ;-) And you're so clever with the "red has my heart" bit! The ghetto in me smiles at the prospect of red heart, however the words are ordered. ;-) That dress is going to be fantastic in that fabric! Can't wait to see the modeled pics. Have fun in New York!! Eat lots of hot dogs and corned beef on rye and say "hi" to Rupert for me! Take care, Miss O! :-)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Karen said...

All your red stuff is so pretty. I can't wait to see that dress, the fabric is cute. You're quite the little seamstress!! Have a great time in NYC - there's nothing like it in the world. It's even supposed to be quite warm next week - well, 40s and 50s is warn for the north east!!!

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your red! Have a great time in NYC. (I just saw the Munch exhibit at MOMA, see my blog.) Do wear green on St. Patrick's Day!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Thank you for the link to the George Jackson photographs - the colors are amazing! The picture titled "Bailando Antes de la Iglesia" really struck me. I love the garments the ladies were wearing - sort of like red tunics. I have no ethnic heritage unless you can count Suburban WASP. ;) Have fun in NYC, but don't forget you belong to Chicago!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home