Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Amazing Lace: Challenge #1.



This is the summer of lace, people, and Team Trellis has been training hard.

For those of you non-knitting, non-blogging types out there (hard to believe, I know, but there are a few), The Amazing Lace is a knitalong based loosely on the reality-TV show The Amazing Race. The ultimate goal is to knit a lace object by the end of the summer, and challenges will be issued along the way to contestants who must complete them on their blogs to win the favor of fellow knitalongers.

This is challenge number one. Meet the Team:

Knitter: Me.
Pattern: Trellis Scarf from Interweave Knits Spring 2006, modified to stole width.
Yarn: Helen's Laces in Denim.


Strengths: Has knit other lace pieces successfully before. Rarely drops stitches.

Weaknesses: Mild case of knitting ADD. Likes to watch 24 on DVD, severely limiting ability to follow lace charts. Probably the slowest knitter in the race.




Strengths: Easily memorizable pattern.

Weaknesses: Requires a K7 together. WTF!!! This may seriously handicap the team.

While there are clearly some disadvantages here, we hope that our strengths are enough to keep us competitive. The pattern isn't too complicated, ensuring just enough challenge to keep the knitter's ADD at bay, but not so complex that I'll throw the yarn and needles across the room. Which I'm sure my roommate is grateful for.

This will be a race of strength, speed, and wits. Accordingly, we have been training in each of these areas:


Strength, in order to knit 7 stitches together successfully.


Speed and endurance, in order to keep up with the rest of the pack. (Yes, that is Helen's Lace following behind me, making sure I don't slack off.)


And wits. Focus and memory will be crucial in following the lace chart.

So yeah. My roommate trains for triathlons, and I knit lace. Who says I can't be competitive, too?

7 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Okay, your Meet The Team is my favorite so far!!! I love all your little drawings . . . . so cute and clever. Wasn't it you who told me she probably wasn't joining Amazing Lace because she was nervous about the challenges?? No problem at all . . . you certainly aced the first one!! :)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Cute, cute drawings! Good luck!

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go team!! Love your drawings! : D

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Freddy y Blue Demon said...

Yes, I realize there's documented evidence that Asians have trouble with l-r pronunciation. "Disneyland." "Disneyrand." Yes, yes. Funny, funny. I just don't think it's necessary to exploit it for humorous effect, just to further your nefarious knitting schemes.
Shameless.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love it! So cute!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Gimme an "O"!
Gimme an "L"!
Gimme a "G"!
Gimme an "A"!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Holy crap! blogger is finally letting me comment! This is the cutest entry ever, and I have been trying to say so for days and days. Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home