Tuesday, September 26, 2006

In every blogger's life....

must come a moment like this. Y'all, I can't find my camera cord.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst hunting for it all over the house, hither and yon, I realized exactly why it's possible for me to blog--I have this digital camera. It's not the best, and it's definitely not the newest, but it does the job. I'm a pretty lucky girl to have it at all, and hey! It would appear I'm lost, blog-wise, without it.

Because I have so many things to show you! So many! And I have to fall back on my lackluster descriptions. Poor you.

First of all, the mystery box. I'm surprised and tickled that you guys have actually taken an interest in the box the postman delivered on Saturday. It's my birthday yarn, that I bought to make a sweater from Knitting Nature, my birthday book. And guess what? I splurged on Rowan Calmer. Yes, I did.

I guess this jeopardizes my Ghetto Knitter status (where are you, oh Chris of Bits of Knits, to revoke my GK license?), but I so did not pay full price on these 7 yummy skeins, because I bought them on ebay! Honestly, I was shocked that nobody else came in and swiped these away from me at the last minute. Anyway, they're delicious, although maybe not the first color I would have picked, but I do love the dusky blue I ended up with.

My special delivery was really just the beginning of a very crafty weekend. The Boy and I stumbled across an outdoor flea market on the way to brunch (nothing like the 29th street flea in New York, but what can you do?), and I found adorable needlepoint someone had finished. It's a picture of trees, birds, and a kitty cat, very seventies style, but really the sweetest thing ever. I bought it for a buck, and it came with the hoop and extra yarn. I can't wait to make a cute little pillow out of it.

Do you guys ever feel like you have to adopt every handcrafted project you see when thrifting? I went to Goodwill to scout out some placemats for a very cool idea Kodachrome Knits came up with for a needle case, and I saw a Project Linus blanket with the tags still attached. I mean, come on! Who got a Project Linus blanket and then promptly shoved it in a box to give to Goodwill? I suppose there's the chance that this person got too much stuff, or didn't like the colors, but it still breaks my little crafter's heart.

That night I went to the movies with my friend Cristina, and we saw The Science of Sleep. Has anyone out there seen it? Such a great movie! It's got hottie Gael Garcia Bernal in it (holla, Jennifer!), and it's about this guy's dream world, blending in with his everyday life. I was particularly charmed (and I know you would be, too), because his love interest is this girl who lives next door and makes stuffed felt animals by hand. And in one scene, she's running a hand-operated knitting machine! So cool.

Maybe the most charming moment for me was when he is describing her to someone else, and says that he loves her because she makes things with her hands (and waves his own around). Swoon! Finally, a crafter's love story!

On Sunday, I spent a good hour going through a pile of crafting books at Borders. These may not be new to you, but they were new to me, and I loved them:

Get Your Sparkle On: Create and Wear the Gems that Make You Shine: Beautiful photography, cute, tasteful projects, and guest projects (for example, the accessories editor of Glamour designed a chunky colorful necklace, and then the author gives instructions for it).
Simply Baby: the new Debbie Bliss book. Need I say more? Just absolutely freakin' adorable knits.
Last Minute Fabric Gifts: From the people who brought you Last Minute Knitted Gifts (duh!). Love this book. Love it sooo much! Ideas for recycling thrift store finds, as well as projects using new fabric. And a sewing tutorial in the back. Everything is well illustrated and the directions seem clear and reasonable.

Sigh. I was there to buy a birthday present for someone, so I can't tell you about that yet, but I was strong, and restrained myself to just the one purchase.

Besides, it's not like I haven't had an embarrassment of riches lately. It seems like that ogling postman is coming to my door every other day, because on Monday (and I was properly dressed this time!), he delivered my Knitflix swap. Coordinated by Jennifer at Craftylilly, this is a cool swap where you basically put together a movie/knitting night for a pal. I could hardly stop from jumping up and down, I got the best package!

I told Becky, my swap pal, that I wanted to see Rabbit Proof Fence. It turns out that Becky is Australian, so she put together an Australian themed package with the movie, candy treats, a Cadbury bar, and included some Vegemite! Ooh, I've never tried it before, but she warns me that it's an acquired taste. :-) Oh, and some Regia sock yarn in blues and greens, and the best thing--an adorable tote bag she made herself! Thank you so much, Becky, I loved it all!

Damn you, camera cord! Where are you???

11 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

What a wonderful Knitflix package! Did your Pal include kleenex? You best have some handy. You have to give us American's a review of the Vegemite!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh yeah, you got the crafting bug bad!!! :) Okay, you need to find the camera cord by the time you finish your needle roll - because I really want to see it. Also, I checked out the link, and I didn't really understand the construction - so any tips you can give would be great.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

yeah, i have waaaaaaaaaay too many of those moments: fumbling around for my camera cord. good luck with that one! i hope you find it soon! ;)

and man, i don't even have to watch that movie to know i like it. just the part you were describing - about him describing the girl he's in love with and how she makes things with her hands - it's got me all mushy inside. *sigh*

wish someone would talk to me like that...instead of just sitting there and saying "oh, what are you making now? that's nice." pthhht! nice. i don't make stuff with my hands for just a "nice," thankyouverymuch. ;)

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger lo said...

This is how my sister Sara eats vegemite-- Pumpernickle bagel, well buttered, with a thin layer of vegemite over it. She used to make me ship her the big bottle of Vegemite from Fiesta, because she ate this every chance she got.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, you must find that camera cord because all of those things sound too good not to be photographed. I'm glad you like Last Minute Fabric Gifts--I was kind of underwhelmed with it, and felt bad that I was, so I'm glad it is getting some love in the world. (Plus, how cute is that bunny?)

Oh and PS you are going to love the Calmer. Yarn of the gods, that stuff is. You'll spoil yourself for ghetto knitting forever.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, that package sounds incredible!

Sending you good finding lost things vibe.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Doh! I forgot to finish the quasi tutorial for the needlecase which I mentioned a while ago. Thanks for the gentle reminder. I promise to show a step-by-step guide for how I made it on tomorrow's post. (I can't do it tonight b/c *my* camera cord is in my desk at work.) And guess what!?! The mystery bust: Hemingway it was, and so if you send me your mailing address, the "wee" prize can be whizzing its way to you soon. This means, of course, that the lurid encounters with the mailman are to be continued!! (Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but who can say no to mail!)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

Only you would describe the Science of Sleep with such a gem as "Finally, a crafter's love story!"

As for Rabbit-Proof Fence, I was thinking about it today and how my heart still isn't the same after seeing it. I hope your care package came with tissues.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Dang, hope you find that camera cord soon. Great post, though - lots of interesting stuff.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two camera cables, cause I can't always find one! Sounds like you got a great knitflix package, the rowan calmer sounds delish : )

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I've now posted a tutorial for the needleroll case. Dang, was it ever hard to do. Let me know if it is helpful (or not!) I read it over and it just seemed to be a long list of confusing directions mixed with photos that really don't show you what I'm doing. Sorry about the muddled directions, but you're so smart (guessing Hemingway, and all) so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home