Friday, September 08, 2006

Would you like a new haircut to go with that finished object?

Finally! An FO to show, my finished Silk Camisole, from Last Minute Knitted Gifts! I've been done with the cami for maybe a week now, and have been wanting my talented boyfriend to take some pictures, but distracted by trying my hand at making pesto and watching the third season of 24 on DVD, and then by crepes and prosecco and lemon panna cotta (all slurped up at last night's First Thursday), I just kept forgetting.

So I fell back on the tried-and-true bathroom self-portrait this morning. (OK, maybe not so true...apologies for the blurry pic. I'll have to have another go at it, you guys deserve a better picture than this.)



Silk Camisole

Details:
Pattern--Last Minute Knitted Gifts, by Joelle Hoverson
Yarn--Jaeger Trinity, two and a half skeins
Size--34
Needles--size 4 circulars

Notes:
I wore the cami out on Saturday, so it's already been road tested. I didn't make any pattern modifications, except with the length of the straps. They were pretty long when I first tried it on, so I took off two inches. Boy, did this baby streeeetch out! The fit is definitely a bit looser (which is OK, because there's no shaping, it's not exactly fitted), but by the end of the day it was definitely hanging low enough to showcase my bra. I got home and shortened the straps another two inches, and now I think it's fine. With I-cord straps, though, I need to remember to wear the garment around a while before grafting them to the back, because it's pretty much guaranteed that they're going to stretch out with the weight of the piece.

I bought this yarn from Elizabeth's destashing, and really enjoyed knitting with it. It's nubbly, so it's not the smoothest knit, but I liked the texture beneath my fingers...it almost feels like it's made of paper (it's a silk/cotton blend). Elizabeth bought it to make the Silk Corset, I think, but decided the yarn wasn't right for the project--a smart move. This fabric doesn't have a lot of memory, but it's light and drapey. Good for a cami, maybe not so much for a corset.

I also chopped all my hair off.



I was badly in need of a trim (I think my last haircut was in December!), but as the day of my haircut appointment approached, I wondered if it was long enough to donate to Locks of Love, an organization that makes hairpieces for financially disadvantaged kids with long-term medical hair loss. It turned out to be more than enough (it needs to be at least ten inches), and so off it came! With the Texas heat that's only let up just a little, you can bet that having a bare neck is a welcome relief.

Well, first Thursdays here in Austin, in addition to food and music and arts and crafts, also bring yarn sales at Hill Country Weavers! Of course I had to go to poke around, and naturally I found a great deal:



It's Noro--I forget the name of the yarn, but it's chenille. I bought three skeins for a scarf, but haven't decided on a pattern. What do you guys think? I'm thinking something lacy on biggish needles, but I've never knit with chenille. Would that work? I also thought that the multidirectional scarf that's in Handknit Holidays might also look cool in this yarn.

Oh, and there's this little guy, looking a bit like a Frankenstein baby knit with all those needles and stitch holders sticking out:



This is the baby placket sweater from LMKG. The recipient of this item has been born already, and is probably outgrowing the sweater as we speak! This'll have my undivided attention until it's done. Now that the sleeves have been attached, it'll probably go pretty fast.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who's wished me sweet dreams in the new bed! I was so happy when the bed was made up that I almost cried. I also have been keeping the bed made in the mornings, which is something I have NEVER done.

12 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger lo said...

hey olguita--
your hair looks great, and so does the cami.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Laura said...

hey o! your haircut looks awesome! i have thought about donating to locks of love, but my hair has some layers and color and the hairdresser suggested that they couldn't use it. nice cami and baby sweater too! i bet that chenille would make a great multi-directional scarf. i made those at christmas last year and they are a fun knit.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love your new haircut and your cami! The color looks lovely on you.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I love the new cami and the new hairdo! And you donated to Locks of Love!!! You're so awesome.

And, Laura, the website says they can use both layered and dyed hair (as long as it hasn't been bleached or chemically damaged). Just a nudge. . . . *wink*

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love your cami!! I've looked at the pattern so many times . . . . I just don't think I can pull of spaghetti strap sleeves. They look so great on you too. Your new haircut looks so pretty - and I know what you mean about appreciating the cool neck. When I knit the Placket Neck Pullover, I definitely found it flew once I got through the sleeve. You'll be done in no time and have another FO to show us!!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hair looks great!! Good for you donating your hair! I did that last summer, boy it was weird having my hair *so* short! Your cami looks fabulous. Great color on you.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Marisa said...

In the words of Mambo Mouth, tan cute! that haircut of yours.

Missing you from the midwest.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Cute, cute hair (for such a good cause), & cute, cute cami. As for the chenille, I have no idea; I've never tried it before, so I hate to offer any uneducated opinion/ advice. And now I'm off to track down some Cisneros poems (I didn't even know she wrote poetry so thanks for the recommendation).

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Olga - great job on the silk cami - the Trinity worked beautifully. and I love the new hair! very 20s chic.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

LOVE the hair--it's so cute and flapper-y! Suits you perfectly. As does the cami--beautiful!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

The silk cami and the new hair bob - what a cool way to beat the heat!

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the silk cami looks really good so does your haircut! kodos to u for donating your hair!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home