Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Blech.

I know there hasn't been much knitting content around these here parts, lately. Truth is, I've been kind of piddling around with this project and that, not getting much of any of them done.

I started the Phyllo Yoke Pullover from Knitting Nature, but with the holidays coming up, I decided I couldn't afford to knit anything for myself right now.

I messed around with different stitch patterns to knit a scarf out of some soft Noro chenille I got on sale a while ago, and finally settled on the Opera Scarf pattern. It'll be fun to see what the heavier-weight chenille will do to the lacy pattern, but I haven't picked up the project in a while.

I bought some Noro Kureyon at the last LYS sale to make the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from Stitch and Bitch Nation, but haven't gotten beyond the cuff.

Don't even ask me about the Trellis stole. Just don't.

Is this what the knitting blahs are? It feels more like the knitting blechs, especially after turning the heel on these socks:



These are the Rib and Cable socks from IK Fall 2005. I like the yarn (Hook Em Horns colorway from Hill Country Yarn), I like the pattern, but for some reason these short row holes seem more egregious to me than they have in other socks I've made in the past. I ripped out the gusset to pick up an extra stitch in that little valley between the dpns, and I'm still not satisfied. Me no likey.

I'll bet that Knitting Answer book probably deals with this issue, and I know I've seen other bloggers whip those holes into submission (but why can't I find those posts now?). What do you guys do? Do you have the fix? Or are you happy to let handknitted socks be handknitted socks, in all their imperfect glory?

Because we're not machines, damn it.

Anyway, I'll be off tomorrow to Detroit for a few days to go poke around in some archives up at Wayne State University. Know what that means? Airplane knitting time! Maybe I'll finally finish these socks.

13 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Laura said...

re: the short row holes...i do the short rows with wraps instead of yarnovers & that really helps.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

have fun in detroit! hooray for winter clothes!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I agree with Laura--if you're using YO short rows, try wraps.

But regardless, what you're looking for is right here:
http://www.knitwerk.com/archives/2005/10/28/short-rows-links-and-tutorials

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

PS Michigan! yay! If you get bored and want delicious tapas, come on over to Grand Rapids!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Me again. That link didn't work, huh. Try this

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I don't have much experience but I also think the one-time short row moment I have had involved wraps, and I think I used this tutorial: http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/9/21/short-row-heel-tutorial.html

And hey! Detroit! My partner ('Guido') is a HUGE HUGE HUGE Detroit Tigers fan and so, with the Tigers headed now to the World F***ing Series!! (to quote "Guido") the city should be jumping with excitement this week. So besides the archival work, you're should to find a good time there right now with all the frenzied preparations for the World Series. Safe trip, girl!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

I cannot believe you're going to be so close, and yet so far...

Have a safe trip. I might be in your neck of the woods around March, to catch a derby bout, and quality time with you.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I've had short-rows holes happen too and just left them. Not because it's the charm of hand-knit . . . but because I had no idea how to fix them and was too lazy to try. :( I'm gonna read the links her in the comments so I can do better next time. But I have noticed I seem to have better looking short rows with some yarns (Koigu) than with others. Anyway, have a safe trip!!!

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yucky short row holes--I hate em. Wish I could help

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger dc gal said...

Enjoy Detroit. Hope you've used that flying time wisely.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great time in Detroit! : )

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Have a good trip!

I hope you break free of the knitting blahs soon.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Hope you get lots of travel knitting time. I like that Opera Scarf; it's like one I was trying to make a while ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home