Saturday, October 14, 2006

Knitting is my gateway drug.

There's been a little sewing around here lately.



Inspired by Kodachrome's neat idea for making a needle case out of two placemats, I went and made a case for my DPNs out of one placemat. (She's written a whole tutorial, if you'd like the expanded version.)

I simply laid out the placemat lengthwise, folded up the bottom end, stitched the sides together, and then stitched in the pockets.

[WARNING, KNITTING NEEDLE SNOBS: ALUMINUM DPN CLOSE-UP. You may want to avert your eyes and/or take the children out of the room.]



This way, there should be enough fabric at the top to fold down so that the needles don't fall out.



When I folded the flap down, I found it easier to roll the ends inward if I flipped the whole thing over so that the back of the case was facing up. So I stitched a ribbon on the top flap so that when it's rolled in, I just tie the ribbon to keep the whole thing together.



I'm quite pleased with the outcome--it was super simple, except for all the thread ends I had to tie off!

I also never got around to showing you the Knitflix swap package I put together for my pal, Becky:



She had Bridget Jones's Diary: The Edge of Reason on her wishlist, so I got her some British candy and a bag of Tatyos to go with the movie and the Lorna's Laces sock yarn I picked out for her. I'd never tried the Taytos, so I got her the relatively harmless sounding Wuster Sauce flavor, as opposed to the questionable Prawn Cocktail.

I also had this fun zebra upholstery fabric, so I made a little zippered pouch to hold the treats. I found the tutorial on Craftster, and I swear, it took about half an hour. It might have taken less if I hadn't insisted on sewing the zipper on the wrong way THREE times. (Note to self: limit red wine intake while sewing machine is in operation.) Anyway....yay! I would have made another one on the spot, except I didn't have another zipper.

I also had to show you what's on the label of this Yorkie bar:



What's up with that??? Of course, I HAD to buy it, especially to go with such a girly movie. Apparently, it's Britian's "Hungry Man" version of the candy bar. Check out the Wikipedia entry for the naughty joke about the Yorkie (it's the last paragraph). Oh, and I found this while doing "research" for the candy...isn't it cool?

10 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Love that fierce zippered pouch, and the placemat needle roll. But what is up with the Yorkie? Every time I reach for it in the supermarket (because i LOVE Yorkies), I have go through the following thought process: "Mmmmmm yorkie. Oh, but wait, it got sexist. I can't eat a misogynist candy bar. But if I buy it anyway I'll be showing the world that yorkies ARE TOO for girls, won't I? But then I'll validate their stupid sexist marketing by spending money on something that thinks girls aren't good enough to eat candy! CRAP!"

50% of the time, I buy it.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Looks like you've got your mad sewing skillz goin' on! :) Great stuff!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

The needle case looks great! I love the color choices. "Yorkie" bars are yummy, so are dark chocolate "Hob Nobs". Who says the English can't cook!?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I'm going to have to keep my eye out for a Yorkie. I've never had one, but I imagine there's nothing quite like consuming sexism covered in chocolate!

Your needle roll and pouch are great--wine and all!--and yay (!) to the aluminum dpns: somebody's gotta keep it real :)

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The DPN case is awesome! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for placemats now! I also read somewhere that you can take two placemats and make a tote bag too.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome dpn case, I'm going to have to make me one of those. And Yorkies are good, misogyny and all.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

Oh man, love your needle case! I wish I wasn't so sewing-inept, I hope to learn one day.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love your needle case - it came out wonderful!! I have to remember to start looking for some cool placemats to use to make one too. :) What a cool package you put together for your swap too - I'd never heard of Yorkies before.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha that joke it too funny!!! Great package that you put together, what color way of LL is that?
Your needle roll is awesome, and I'm loven the zebra bag!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger knitannie said...

hey that's a cool pouch and I love the needle roll. When my sewing machine comes out of storage I am all over those pouches. And some curtains, and some cushions.... phew!
I lived in England for 6 years and just seeing that Yorkie made me drool. That was one of my favourite chocolate bars. They made a limited edition one in Pink, just for girls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home