Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday morning project.

It doesn't take much to make me happy. I am deliriously happy with the results of this morning's sewing project.

new pillow

I finally got around to making a pillow out of the needlepoint I brought home from the flea market about two months ago. I had to find the right cozy fabric, and I finally settled on some navy blue bottomweight corduroy--I may have been better off with some home decorator fabric, but I couldn't find a color I liked. The corduroy I picked out has a little stretchiness to it, but I figured that would be OK since I would need to stuff a pillow form into the finished product.

I also tried my hand at sewing in some piping.

Piping

All in all, very pleased, except that I completely ignored the advice of my Sewing for Dummies book (aptly named for people like me, as it turns out), which says to cut the fabric to the size of the pillow form. That didn't seem right, so I cut a half inch seam allowance, and now. The pillow is a little baggy. Ah, well, I suppose I can always take out the pillow form and stuff it with loose stuffing.

That in the background there, in the first picture, is a Christmas cross-stitch kit I dug out the other day. (Holla, Nancy!) It would seem that, as my prospectus nears completion, my crafting has taken on an obsessive-compulsive dimension. Hmm...do you suppose there's a connection?

But as long as we're speaking of multiple craft endeavors, here's a questionnaire Nancy put together:

Are you multi-crafty?

Oh, hell yes. With a vengeance. I'm looking for new things to try all the time. Stenciling? Check! Card-making? Check! Sidewalk chalk drawing? Check check!

If so, what crafts do you do?

I knit and have tried crochet. I cross-stitch, and am learning to sew. I have dabbled in jewelry making. I love to draw, and would like to get better.

If not, which would you like to try?

See above. I would also love to learn how to decoupage.

Which do you consider your "main" craft?

Knitting, no question about it. Most of my craft dollars flow into yarn.

Do you ever feel guilty about the time you spend on one craft that you could/should be spending on another?

YES! Especially now as the holidays approach! Which is why every time I got near the sewing machine, I would think, but my mom's Christmas socks haven't made it past the first ankle...

At what point do you think a hobby becomes an obsession?

Um, when you look up and realize it's two in the afternoon and you haven't really showered or had breakfast because you've been working on a project. Wow...I need help.

Do you have any weird "craft" habits?

I don't know if this counts as weird, but I can't leave my LYS without making a complete tour of their inventory. Obsessive, yes. Weird...well, how many of you do this?

Are you ever hesitant to admit your love of "craft"?

Nope.

Is your stash/tools listed in your will?

They probably will be. Or maybe I'll have my next of kin give it all away on the blog, first come, first served.

Your house is on fire (and you've already saved the kids/pets/family photos)...what "craft" item would you save? Remember, you have to be able to carry it out of the burning building.

I guess that would have to be my sewing machine. Most expensive item, easiest to carry.

What about you all?

Before signing off, I present to you proof positive that I am indeed turning into my mother:

DSC02730

I hoarded these Biscoff cookies from my last Delta trip...really, the only good thing about those flights. Delicious cinnamony goodness.

9 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

The pillow is fabulous! Very pretty, and so practical.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, you hoarded Speculoos! No, no, not anything your OB would consider using; it's pronounced Speck-u-LOWES. They are one of the good things I remember about Belgium; they are super-sweet and cinammony, and are absolutely terrific dipped in café con leche. Right on Saint Nicholas' - December 6th - we would get speculoos in the shape of St Nick's and hear all about how he saved three little boys from being turned into jerky. I am not making this up.

Boy, this comment has taken a turn for the weird. Anyway, terrific pillow! Love your work with the piping.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, I love that pillow!!! Great job!

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fab pillow! You did a great job on the sewing. Isn't it funny how we slowly become our mothers? I constantly find her words coming out of my mouth!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

And you should be happy about your pillow - it's beautiful!! Maybe after the holidays I could bribe you to turning some of my stitching into pillows...

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Great pillow. You did an excellent job, even without the experts' instructions and advice. And good work on your prospectus; it sounds like it's coming along swimmingly.
PS: I love Lyle Lovett and if he wants me in Texas, then he can have me in Texas!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is that pillow? Isn't it amazing the way piping just makes a project?

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss you and your crafty ways. ;)
p.s. those cookies *are* really tasty.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your pillow is amazing, olga! i'm so glad to know such a multi-talented mujer. jenn relayed your "hello" message yesterday. i'm sending a big HELLO back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home