Thursday, December 07, 2006

Gnarly knits.

So, the holiday knitting proceeds apace here at Chez Yo La Tejo. Except that something weird is going on with my Noro knits. It's not the fault of Noro, I don't think...at least not with the armwarmers.

Hurry Up Spring Armwarmer

The problem here is with the bud and vine motif running up the back. It's the Hurry Up Armwarmers from Stitch and Bitch Nation, and quite frankly, I think the vines look like bulging veins. My hand looks kind of like the Incredible Hulk's, when he's very, VERY angry.

Here's a detail:

Armwarmer detail

See, when it's up close you can see the bud on the left hand side, and it makes sense and is somewhat pretty. But who's gonna be looking at your hand that close up? Ugh. I think that maybe a simple cable would have been better.

Opinions? Be honest, seriously. It took me a Sunday car ride from the Valley (that's South Texas to you Californians) to finish this one, so it won't be a tragedy if I frog it.

More weird stuff is happening with my Noro Sumile* chenille scarf, which I've been blogging about for a while now:

Noro Sumile Scarf

The right side is the first skein I knit in Mistake Rib, and the left side is the second skein. Right side, deep lush ribs. Left side....totally flattened out.

I actually like the left side better because it looks neater, so I'm thinking I'll just be able to block out the right side to match the left. But. So. Weird. I swear I used the same needles.

* Amanda commented a few posts back that she didn't know Noro made chenille. Sumile is what it's called, and I found it in the clearance bin at my lys, which suggests to me that it's heading toward Discontinued City. [TWO MINUTES LATER] Yarndex says yes, this was discontinued in Spring 2005.

9 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I...hm. Now that you say "Hulk..."

I like cables.

Just saying.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, when you said Incredible Hulk, suddenly that's all I saw. Perhaps it's the colorway?

BTW, the pattern went out in the mail today. :-)

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Laura said...

hmm. i like the armwarmers. but if you think they look like veins, i say frog it.

how weird about the ribbing! i cannot imagine why that happened!

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't stand the cables on those- I thought they looked like worms! I did them without it and just kept them ribbing the whole way around and they were great! I love that colorway you are using.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought they looked a bit . . . let's say . . . bulky at first glance, but I didn't think veins. Still, once you said it, I nodded.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comment about the vein reminded me of DF's obsession with pulsating veins; he can't stand to see anyone's veins. I can see why you would see that, and if it bugs you, frog it, but then again, I think it's kinda pretty - a vertical sight line, you know, that's winding its way up, a little bit like a vine (no play on words with vein here). Check out Karl Blossfeldt's work in Google images. He was a photographer at the turn of the last century who inspired many Art Nouveau artists and architects.
About the ribbing, I actually like the one to the left better, but for a simple ghetto knitter reason: ya get more surface for your yarn buck. Did you knit the right side when you were stressed out? That might explain the tighter rib.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

On one hand (pun intended), you answered your own question - who's going to look at your hand that close? On the other hand, the pattern would probably look better in a less varigated colorway. Just MHO...

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Hi Olga! First, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment! And secondly, I had a look at your Noro arm warmers, and I really like them, cables and all. Hulk images didn't register in my mind. They look lovely and warm. Adding you to my bloglines, now!

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

something odd is going on with those armwarmers! Frog em, cables would be nice ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home