Friday, December 08, 2006

Holiday meme.

Stole this from Nancy.

Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper for kids...it's more fun to tear off the paper than take something out of a bag!

2. Real tree or artificial? This year I bought a red tinsel tree, about 8 inches high, at Michael's. Since I don't spend Christmas in my apartment, I don't put out too much effort.

3. When do you put up the tree? Usually, right after Thanksgiving!

4. When do you take the tree down? After Dia de los Reyes Magos/Three Kings Day, January 6.

5. Do you like eggnog? Oh, yeah. Especially with a little rum in it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? My sister and I got the Barbie Dream House. We had to share it, and it was like both our birthdays and Christmas wrapped up in one, but we loved that house so much! It had a working doorbell, a balcony with French doors, and it came with furniture. Swanky!

7. Do you have a nativity scene? No, but I love them. In keeping with Austin kitsch, Bill and I were joking that I should make one with Frida Kahlo as Mary and Trotsky as Joseph. He argued that Fidel should be the baby Jesus, but I wanted Diego Rivera. It would be a quasi-homage to this.

8. Hardest person to buy for? My dad, for sure. He says he doesn't want anything.

9. Easiest person to buy for? My mom. She loves anything Christmas-themed.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. Although I've pared my list down this year...too much work, not enough time!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can't think of anything I'd call the worst!

12. Favorite Christmas movie? Definitely A Christmas Story. I could watch that movie over and over and it would never get old.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? After Thanksgiving. I can't wrap my head around it before then.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No. I'm sentimental, so I'll keep whatever it is, no matter how weird. (See also #11.)

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Tamales!

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Carol of the Bells. Does anyone remember the Sweeney Sisters' rendition?

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I always go home to Chicago.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Yes, but I have to sing it. "You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen. Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. But do you recall...."

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We always had angels on top when we were kids.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Now we open them at midnight. But we used to always have to wait till the morning, so we'd scramble out of bed at 6 am. I remember always being awed by the fact that Santa ate the cookies and drank the milk we left out for him.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Christmas music on an endless loop in the stores. If you're cranky, it doesn't help!

23. What would you like for Christmas? A finished prospectus! Santa, do you think you can manage that one?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

My family all watches A Christmas Story together every christmas eve--our lone absolute, every year, can't skip it tradition. Just visualize your prospectus getting the kind of reception Ralphie imagines for his Red Ride BB Gun essay! That's all the motivation you'll need...

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger meg said...

mine's a christmas story, too. my mom gifted me the vhs years ago and now i'm finally getting a dvd copy. can watch it over and over and over.

i love the tree you are talking about. did you see the 4ft tall green and pink ones? i would absolutely love to have that green one. its so bright and shiny and fun.

good luck finishing up the prospectus! oh and have fun in chicago, i'll be up in madison for about a week starting the day after christmas.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

You're soooo lucky you got the Dream House! I got the Camping set - tent and plastic campfire. Barbie's high-heel strappy sandals and (faux) mink coat don't exactly belong in the great outdoors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home