Friday, December 01, 2006

Waaaaaaaah!

I had one of THOSE nights last night.

You know the kind. When you suddenly get it into your head that you want to knit a particular thing, and so you embark on an Internet quest to find the perfect pattern/yarn. And you can't find it immediately, so you grow more obsessed, and more determined...until it's 2 am and you have to go to bed because you're not getting anywhere and you're about to fall sideways out of your chair.

In my version of this scenario, I decided I had to knit this:



It's the Sweet Mary Jane Cardigan from Knitpicks, and I'd had my eye on it for a while, but never got around to ordering it. You know what's coming next, don't you? It's been discontinued. DISCONTINUED!

Which I didn't find out until this morning. I knew I'd seen it on Knitpicks, and so I exhaustively searched through all the patterns, until the certain knowledge that I'd never find it settled like a stone in my stomach. That made me only more determined to find it, of course.

I couldn't remember the name of the pattern, though, so I started googling "lacy bed jacket," "lace cardigan," etc. Desperate to find anything that resembled it, and getting back, of course, tons of patterns that were nothing like it.

This morning I had the brilliant idea of looking in a print Knitpicks catalogue I had lying about, and sure enough, it was in there! I called the company and hopefully asked if they'd be bringing it back. "No, it's been discontinued." Is there anything, um, well, is there anywhere....? "I'm sorry," the nice lady said, firmly. "It's been discontinued."

Of course, this is now the pattern I want to knit most in the world. Has anyone seen any other pattern that sort of resembles it, that isn't discontinued? I also think that I might be able to figure it out from the picture; the lace repeat looks like the same one from Orangina.

Or I could settle on something else to satisfy my lace knitting itch. I'm thinking about the Gibson Girl (which I do have the pattern for, in the Summer 2004 IK).

gibson girl

For post-holiday knitting, of course.

9 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Obsessed with knitting? Hmmm...no...I don't think that's ever happened to me. Hopefully, someone in Blogland can help you with the lacy-bedjacket pattern.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Why would they discontinue a pattern? That's stupid.

On the other hand, you'd rock the Gibson Girl. I can totally see you in that.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Freddy y Blue Demon said...

You look different!
Did you get contacts?

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Oh no!!! Why would they ever discontinue a pattern?? That makes no sense what so ever!!! Grrrr.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ashley is right; that seems completely lame to discontinue a pattern. unless it was rife with errors, and they received boatloads of nasty emails from frustrated knitters.

that gibson girl pullover is WAY hotter anyway. i say go for that.

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, my sympathies. I know the feeling; "no, no, I'm not going to let this thing go until I find it." It reminds me of the time I went through 100 pages of Froogle to find an imitation bakelite ring (on the 99th page): I bought three. One green, one pink, one black. I never wear them. Then, there was the time I spent three days on the web to find polynesian-themed temporary tattoos. I hope this makes you feel a little better. I know what it's like to get obsessive and not want to come out of your zone. It drives DF crazy.

Saleknitter is right; if your local SnB has a Yahoo group, that's a good place to ask around too. Good luck; hope you can find it!

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oooo, I like that Gibson pulli! I have a copy of the bed jacket pattern that I'm not planning on using any time soon. We could work out a swap for my pattern if you'd like.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I'm sure we all have done the obsessed google search many, many times. I know I have found myself in this same place waaayyy too many times. But hey! as academics, we're researchers. We're supposed to be this way!!

I love the Gibson as well, and think this would be a nice alternative. Although, I suppose with Austin's weather, the lacy bedjacket might get more wear....

Bon courage with your decision!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Saun said...

I've been there before. The more you cant find it, the more you want it. Maybe there were major problems with the pattern and that is why it is discontinued. It does make any other sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home