Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Housebound.

Austin is currently shut down, for all intents and purposes. First day of class at the University of Texas? Forget it. Here is the situation:

This was taken right outside my apartment door, when I looked out the window and realized that it was SNOWING!!! Little piddly flakes that you can't even see in the picture, but snow nonetheless. See the little accumulation on the roof of the house next door? See the anemic little icicles? It's a bona fide arctic blast!

Kidding aside, however, if a city does not know how to cope with winter weather conditions, then it does get dangerous. People drive like damned fools, and already this morning there was a fatal car wreck on I35 near Buda.

Today was supposed to be my first day of teaching Mexican American literature. Too bad! Even though I've got piles of stuff to do, I'm taking the day off. Screw it. I'm going to knit until my shoulder cramps up and drink lots of tea.

And see if I can't be the boss of my knitting--the Sweet Mary Jane cardigan, despite its simple lace pattern, is not turning out to be so sweet. I was using jump rings for stitch markers, but the laceweight yarn kept slipping through the openings, thereby throwing off the pattern repeat.

Yesterday I dashed outside, ahead of the storm, for an emergency stitch marker run to Hobby Lobby. (I wasn't the only one! There were other people there, stocking up on their crafts in anticipation of the winter storm!) Hopefully the regular stitch markers will help, but when you've got 214 stitches on your needles, even a simple lace pattern can turn out to be the plaything of the Devil.

6 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Freddy y Blue Demon said...

lucky.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Whoa, look at all that snow!! Tee hee. Anyway, at least it bought you a day of knitting. Enjoy, and make Mary Jane start being Sweet! :)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger lo said...

Congrats on teaching 314, Olga! I know that you are going to do great!
Here in Colorado we are still digging out from underneath said blast, to the tune of another 4 inches of snow on top of the half a foot that was still sticking around after the second damned blast. As you can imagine, I'm awaiting the doggedknits tutorial on bedwarmers with a great deal of interest.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

And I bet Austin doesn't have a stockpile of road salt either...

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jillio said...

oh my. that's kind of funny. rain is a regular occurrance here, but the moment the ground is the teensiest bit moist, people drive like idiots. it doesn't make sense because we all live on an island - a very crowded island - so you get there when you get there. i wish we'd get days off for "inclement weather." though i should be careful what i wish for seeing as how we had an earthquake not too long ago...
well, enjoy your crafty day! :)

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger meg said...

i loved all that weather. i hope your lace is going better now.

hey i noticed you used some malabrgio, too. i made my bejeweled scarf with it and posted on my blog. i think we used the same colorway. is that bobby blue? i have just enough left for a hat. i freaking LOVE that stuff. can't wait to get more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home