Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Holding my breath.

You would think that, now that my prelim exams are over, I'd have nothing to do but knit and blog, wouldn't you? Ha! I thought so myself, until the week following the exams, when I had a graduate student journal to edit, a fellowship deadline to meet, an MLA panel to apply for, and general teaching-related deadlines.

But I gotta say, I'll take a post-exam day over a pre-exam day, any day. Thank you to everyone who left comments wishing me well and congratulations. I think it's finally sinking in that I'm a Ph.D. candidate, finally.

But my knitting? I wish I could say the prospects were as good. Witness:

The Phyllo Yoke Pullover from Knitting Nature is hitting the home stretch. And guess what? I have a mere two balls left of Calmer to finish this baby with. Because I bought the yarn on Ebay, the color (Peacock) is discontinued, of course. I'm knitting this and holding my breath; if it doesn't work out, I saw that Fluffa! knit Cece out of six and half balls of Calmer, so I have at least one alternative if I have to frog.

Hoo, boy. Yes, I may be the last person in the blogosphere to knit the ubiquitous Jaywalker. I cast on with the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn I got last year at Purl Soho, and I love the colorway (I think they call it china stripes, just to avoid getting sued for calling it Wedgewood. But it is definitely Wedgewood blue).
But ew. Witness the unsightly blotchiness. It's worse than a fourteen-year-old's complexion. I must confess, I'm not loving this sock. Maybe a ribbed pattern would conceal the pooling better?

Ah, well. At least I have the Airy Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It may look like something that the cat threw up, but at least it's coming out the way it should.
After the fate of the Phyllo Pullover has been decided, I need to boogie on my niece's birthday present! I'd had a design in mind ever since I bought a few balls of Katia Sonrisa--basically I wanted a child-sized Picovoli, with lace on the lower half and no waist shaping. And then, yesterday, I saw this in the new MagKnits! It's close...not exactly what I'd pictured, but I think I could easily modify the neckline to make it a little wider. And it's knit from the bottom up; I think I'd rather knit it top-down.
Has anyone knit a kid-sized Picovoli? Any advice?

4 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger lo said...

Ain' that always the case- you wait for a moment to take your breath, and everyone else just piles on. When it comes down to it, what you have to do is pull the phone out of the plug, refuse to answer the door, and settle in.
As for the pooling, Ashley had a really good idea on her blog- switch to a larger needle for just a bit, just long enough to move stuff along, but not long enough to change the size of the project.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

The pooling on the Jaywalker might not be ideal, but, overall, it's still pretty. And, I've seen things cats throw up and your Airy Scarf does not look like those!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your sweater, all while repeating endlessly: "I *believe* Olga will have enough yarn to finish. I *believe*." And hey, that Jaywalker doesn't look so fugly to me. Maybe just rip back to the pool, and do the larger needle trick, if it really is bothering you... Now go get some rest, you busy busy girl!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your Phyllo yarn crisis. And guess what - I still haven't knit Jaywalkers yet. I think yours look pretty, and I hardly noticed the pooling. But if you don't love it, rip it out! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home