Monday, March 26, 2007

Monica progress.

Spring has made it to Austin; I went rollerblading yesterday at the Veloway and got to see quite a few wildflowers. There was a crop of bluebonnets right where the path begins, but since I'd left my purse and cell phone in the car, I couldn't take any pictures. Bluebonnets, which are the state flower, grow like crazy along the highway medians, but for me it's rare to see them close up.

It was a nice overcast day, too--much better, in my opinion, than the sun beating down on you as you're huffing and puffing up a hill! Today, it's actually raining. I like rainy days, as long as they're not cold. Right now, it's perfect.

Here's a shot of color to liven up this gray day:
Monica is almost done! Just the seaming, and it'll be ready to go. My niece's birthday is coming up in April, and I don't think I've knit anything bigger than a hat for her in a while. It was a good stash-busting opportunity; I had some left-over Cotton-Ease (pre-discontinuation), and it was just enough to eke out this top.

The gauge is different from the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece the pattern calls for, so in a rare moment of attacking the maths head-on, I converted the gauge and cast on 53 (which is the smallest set of stitches in the pattern, but which will give me a medium sized top).

I also knit the straps in one long piece and made buttonholes, so that she can adjust them as the top stretches out. Experience (sad, sad experience) has taught me that cotton tops will always stretch out; I've had to reknit the straps for almost all the cotton tops I've made. I don't think this top was meant to hang around the belly button, so I'm hoping that this will be a good solution.

Here are the buttons I found at Joann's this weekend. The blue matches perfectly!

9 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Cute top - love the bubble gum colors. Does your niece also get the big pink froo-froo skirt shown with the top on Knitty.com? :-)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

very cute! it'll look great on isabel.

also, good for you out on the velloway! the wildflowers out there are so beautiful in the spring.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, buebonnets. Put pictures up!

Although I don't have much to complain about really--it's 80 here today.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Laura said...

SO cute! My teeth hurt! :)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

ahh, i miss the bluebonnets! great buttons--they remind me of a sweater my mom's friend knitted for me when i was 2 or 3--they were fishy's!

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG PON1ES!!!!!!!1!! good god, that is tres adorable! forget that your neice will totally plotz, I love it somethin awful myself. i think i have regressive tendencies, because i even love the buttons too. too much with the cuteness.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Karen said...

So glad you are enjoying some nice spring weather. Love the little top, and the buttons are the crowning glory!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Great idea about the buttons! She'll love it. :)

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Nice work, speed knitter!

I too love the bluebonnets, and the rainy weather has been perfect. Things here smell so fresh and alive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home