Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spring break!

My friend Cristina and I took a little road trip to Memphis last weekend to visit our friends Vero and Mike. Vero has been teaching at a small liberal arts college up there, and since spring break was coming up and we've been talking a lot of smack about visiting her, we finally decided to put our mileage where our mouth is.

Memphis is about a 10 hour drive from Austin, so it was eminently doable, with Cristina driving from Austin to Texarkana, and me all the way through Arkansas. You would think that Arkansas would be the tougher drive, but anyone who's driven in Texas knows that it takes a loooong time to get out of this state.
We only stayed two days, but we had such a great time! Some of the highlights were:
  • Graceland
  • The National Civil Rights Museum
  • Drinks in the Peabody Hotel lobby
  • Dinner at the Germantown Commissary
  • Cheesecake at the Cheesecake Corner
  • Breakfast at Brother Juniper's
  • The Memphis Zoo
  • Sun Studio tour

You'll notice that most of the highlights had to do with drinking or eating. I'm sure I gained about ten pounds and will spend the next two weeks working it off. But it was definitely worth it.

There are loads of pictures on my Flickr page, if anyone is interested, but I'll share a couple of pics here from the Yarn Studio:


My friends were super good sports for indulging my little yarn fetish, and Vero already knew about this place because she'd passed it before on her way home. The Yarn Studio is a cute little store, with a decent stock and a nice salesperson. I snagged some Jawoll Cotton Superwash sock yarn on sale, and we picked out a ball of Trendsetter Swing for a funky scarf for Vero.

Here's Cristina and Mike admiring some Colinette yarn. Cristina was talking to her brother on the phone, and her conversation went something like this:

Hi, I'm in Memphis, at a yarn store. Yes, a yarn store. Olga wanted to come. Well, I don't know, I guess she likes to find yarn stores in the places she visits.

After she hung up, Mike asked if her brother's end of the conversation went like this: You're at a yarn store? Why? Why would she do that?

I forget sometimes that our yarn hoarding habits can seem a bit strange to people.

Ah, well. I'm milking my last couple of days off before I have to get back to work. But I have good news! The Phyllo Yoke Pullover is done! And yes, happily, I did not run out of yarn and even had a goodly amount left over (maybe about 1/4 skein). Pictures to come in the next post.

8 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Yay for fun yarn trips! And yeah--I think my family was exceptionally baffled that I was going to yarn stores on my break. Vim and Ben--they pretended to be understanding, at least. I can't wait to see the Phyllo! And I'm glad you didn't run out of yarn--I actually was coming over (your post didn't make it to Bloglines yet) to offer you an extra ball of Peacock that I found in my stash, but now I will resign myself to keeping it to make myself a pretty spring Shedir!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I saw pictures of the Peabody, but no ducks! Did you get to see the ducks? :) And, I'm so glad you got to eat at the Commissary--hands down one of THE best places for BBQ in Memphis.
Also, I don't think my mom knows about the Yarn Studio--she goes to both Yarniverse and Rainbow Yarns (near the Commissary!) fairly often, but I'm going to make her search out the Yarn Studio the next time I'm home! Looks like you had an awesome trip. :)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

Only 10 hours! Geez. I thought it would be more for some reason. Heard y'all had a great time. And good times are always to be had with lots of food and drink and...eh hem...yarn!

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Happy Spring Break!!! Well, OF COURSE you need to find (and buy) yarn in every place you visit. Who wouldn't?? It makes the best souvenir!!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sounds like a fun trip - Memphis is another great town. I love those long drives. Can't wait to see the shawl!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

What good friends you have :)

My BF is starting to understand the importance of finding yarn stores in cities we visit. He patiently waited for over an hour in the car in San Antonio while I rummaged through the Yarn Barn (I think that was the name). He was baffled when I came out with only one skein of sock yarn and one ball of Rowan Wool/Cotton that had been discontinued. "That's it?" he cried. I had to explain that I needed all that time to touch and fondle many of the yarns that I only get to see online...

Can't wait to see the Phyllo!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Freddy y Blue Demon said...

Woo yeah! I finally made it into this blog! *finally*
I was hoping it would be for something else I did besides standing around in a yarn store, but I'll take it.
Unfortunately I guess I "touched" and "fondled" the yarn a little too much and I'm permanently banned from the Yarn Studio, Yarn Barn, and Rainbow Yarns.
At least I can still go to Yarniverse.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freddy the Backdoor Love Affair, I never banned you from my shop!

The yarn studio owner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home