Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Very Merry Unbirthday Sweater.


Now that I've got that particular Alice in Wonderland ditty running through my head (courtesy of the Disney mind meld), I present to you the Phyllo Yoked Pullover! I'd been calling it my birthday sweater, because Knitting Nature was a gift from my B., and the yarn was bought with birthday cash from Mom and Dad. But since my birthday was, oh, well over half a year ago, the pullover has now become my unbirthday sweater.

Specs:

Pattern: Phyllo Yoked Pullover from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature
Yarn: 7 balls of Rowan Calmer in Peacock
Needles: Size 7
Modifications: shortened the sleeves

Notes: Part of the reason this sweater took so long was because knitting stockinette is so. BORING. It is utter Dullsville, which actually turned out to be the place that I needed to be right before my exams last month. The reason I abandoned it in the first place became the reason I picked it up again in January. Nothing like mindless knitting to counteract test anxiety.

This sweater is knit flat in pieces up to the part where you join for the yoke, and if I'd had half a brain, I would have knit the thing in the round or knit both the front and the back at the same time on a long circular.

I didn't run out of yarn, as I'd feared. I'd gotten to the part where both sleeves and the front and back pieces were knit, and I only had two balls left. Since the front and back ate up so much yarn, I panicked and didn't knit the sleeves as long as the pattern directed; I just stopped right after the last increases. I think this turned out to be a good thing for my short arms, but the sleeves sometimes crawl upwards and I find myself tugging them down.

But other than that, I love the finished product. The simple lace pattern was a delight to knit. The sweater is more snug than the model's is in the book; I knit the XS size because I only had 7 balls of yarn. I think it looks OK in its form-fittingness. Honestly, I thought the Calmer would grow after a soak, but this yarn has got some serious memory.

Oh, and it's also the most delicious thing against your skin.

I'm already cranking out Monica for my niece's birthday next month; progress pics for next time!

16 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

absolutely beautiful! love this and it looks perfect on you!

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Love it, O. It looks beautiful on you, and I don't think it needed to be one stitch looser--it's super-flattering as it is. And the color--perf. If you change your mind and want to add a little bit of length to the sleeves (I feel like I never know until I've worn it a couple of times) just let me know and my spare ball of Peacock is yours!

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a great sweater! I love the fit and the color! congrats and happy unbirthday to you! :)

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love it!!! I think the fit looks perfect. Oooohhh, I'm so impressed.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto! You should be very proud - that is a very beautiful sweater! Congratulations!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Ooooo...so pretty, dear Olga. I think any other size would have been too big as it seems to fit you perfectly (even the sleeves!). And now you've *really* made me want to try Calmer.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, it is lovely! Looks like a perfect fit and such a beautiful color. :)

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow, great job! I love how nicely it fits you, and the peacock color is gorgeous. I bet it feels great - I love that Calmer. Glad it all worked out and you didn't run out of yarn!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger PCR said...

It's really beautiful and very flattering on you! I think you may have inspired me to use my stash of Calmer to knit this sweater.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Cat said...

That sweater looks great on you!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Laura said...

It is beautiful! And it looks to me as though it fits perfectly! :)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Beautiful! Perfectly beautiful!!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Outi said...

Oh dear! You made me want to knit that sweater right now!

I think the size is just right for you, and it looks gorgeous! You gave me the encouragement I needed to knit it in a smaller, fitting size for myself. I'm so young that I'm still in a negative-ease phase ("show it off as long as you've got it")and many of the book's sweaters need some modification to suit my preferences :)

Outi from Finland

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job! I've been really happy with how mine has turned out also. I actually did knit it in the round and was amazed at how quickly it went (sometimes I really hate to purl :) ). - Dani

 
At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost up the armholes on the back of this sweater now...

...completely agree, feel like I am on a marathon of stocking stitch, just to get to the interesting bits at the top. If mine turns out half as well as yours, I'll be delighted!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Beautiful! Lovely fit, lovely colour, lovely sweater. It doesn't look too snug at all.
(I came here via the Knitting Nature yahoo group.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home