Friday, April 27, 2007

7.5 minutes.

I love how knitting blogs sometimes find their way into news stories about the upsurge in blogging. Nancy (of Beekeeper Granddaughter's fame) recently was quoted in her local newspaper about her take on the whole matter. And guess what? I piggybacked on her 15 minutes of fame! The reporter used one of my comments on Nancy's post about the White Sox to demonstrate the kind of lively dialogue that goes on, I suppose. So maybe that would really be only, like, 3.25 minutes of fame for me, huh? Paris Hilton better watch her back.


Now that the semester's winding down to a close, I've finally had a chance to break out my sewing machine, which has been collecting dust in a corner. Occasionally, I'd give it longing looks as I typed away at a conference paper (three conferences this semester! total madness!). Since I'd already cut out the pieces for this dress, I decided to spend the better portion of last weekend sewing it together:





Reading Erin's posts about the Duro dress on Dress a Day was like experiencing subliminal persuasion. (This may possibly be the first post that got that bandwagon going.) Every time I'd read one, I'd go, ooh, pretty dress. Oooh, pretty dress. Must make that dress. Must make that dress now.

Like the good little follower that I am, I picked up the McCall's version next time Joann's was having a sale. I thought it might be nice in cotton, but because I don't listen to my instincts and instead read the pattern envelope, I bought some rayon challis on clearance for the body, as well as the silky blue fabric.

If I were to make this again, it would definitely be in cotton. There's a whole lotta fabric in this dress, and the rayon definitely adds some weight. (In fact, if I had turned sideways in these shots, I'd bear a striking resemblance to Lady Bracknell!)

Overall, I'm pleased with the way it turned out; I think this is probably my most involved project yet, although it wasn't technically that difficult. Just a whole bunch of steps you have to get through, what with all the pieces (the sash ties in the back, but it's not all one piece...it's actually five).

I did have a crisis moment when I attached the bottom band and tried it on. It was waaay too long, and almost fell around my ankles! It was one a.m., but I was determined to not wake up in the morning with this project still cluttering my kitchen table.

I ripped out the bottom band (which I'd spent two painstaking hours blindstitching by hand), cut it in half, and then just machine sewed it back on. The stitching is sloppy, but you can't see it unless you're up close (and if you're that close, what the heck are you doing hanging around down there anyway???).

So, guess what I saw in the dumpster outside my house this morning?



Weird, huh? Although it does make me sad to see abandoned afghans, I do stop short of picking them out of the garbage. But even more than that, I just want to know how the heck it got there! And why is it draped over the top instead of being stuffed in? Is this some drive-by fiber art installation?

13 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

If you're Paris Hilton does that make me Lindsey Lohan? Ewwwww! Cute dress!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the new dress! Very cute.

As for the abandoned afghan, I wonder if it was crocheted out of that old 80's Red Heart? That stuff can be super scratchy, thus the sad end.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger meg_knits said...

I love the color combinations of your dress - so very nice.

And how sad about the rainbow crocheted afghan! That is not a fitting end for a handmade item.

Enjoy your 3.25 minutes of fame - better get your book deal while you can!

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Laura said...

The dress is luvly! I want to be able to sew things like that! :)

That afghan makes me sad. There are lots of cold people out there ... couldn't they have donated it to a shelter or something? If it was stained or similar, they could have given it to an animal shelter. What a waste of someone's handiwork. That being said, I wouldn't have fished it out of the dumpster either.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love that you and Nancy got to be famous together!! It's the true spirit of blogging!! :) Your dress is adorable. Great job. I've been doing a bit of sewing again myself. Doesn't it seem nice to have fairly instant gratification (as opposed to how long it takes to knit a whole sweater or something?) As for the blanket - well, I like to think someone couldn't use it anymore, but was hoping if they left it draped like that, someone else might give it a new home. :)

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

O, that is gorgeous--the colors are beautiful on you. I love how the rayon makes it so light-looking--but I think you definitely need a cotton version too for summer in Austin!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

wow. that dress is great! and looks great on you, too.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

What a pretty dress; and way to take matters into your own hands in the wee hours of the morning, showing that hem whose boss. As for the quote, aren't you glad you weren't one of the blurbs cited on the sausuage blogger! Ha!

RIP lil' afghan. At least it lives on in memory now, forever captured on this blog, with us to bear witness to its life-- ;)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Awesome - your dress looks great! The colors you chose are lovely. and I'm particularly psyched to see it b/c I bought the same pattern recently... I'll be making it, oh, sometime, in blue print cottons.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Awesome dress! I picked up this pattern a while back because I loved it, but I have never even sewn a dress for myself....maybe soon I will try....I love your fabric, but thanks for the tip about the cotton.

I think someone wanted someone to grab that afghan out of the garbage! They must have felt a little guilty throwing it away! :)

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger meg said...

love the dress! great colors.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger kathy b said...

Love that Lorna's laces yarns. Your socks are wonderful. Strange abandoned afghan. Who can make up a story for it????

I may have had to rescue and wash it........good that you show some restraint!!!!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Your dress is So. Beautiful.

Good thing I am busy revising instead of dreaming about making things all day, otherwise your dress would make me want to throw it all up and become a seamstress instead.

Seriously, one of the nicest dress I have seen on a craft blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home