Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Momma's got a brand new bag.

Meg asked me to post a picture of the sweet little purse I got at Lord & Taylor in Boston. Here's my beloved new Le Sportsac. (Apologies for the crappy cell phone pics.)



My ex-roomie Jennifer will attest to the fact that I adore bags with lots and LOTS of pockets. The more the better, and this one has two on the front, one on the back, and two main compartments. AND. It comes with a cosmetic pouch. Bonus! What could be better? Turns out, it's the perfect size for a sock knitting bag:



This is my Madder Rib sock (from Knitting Vintage Socks) in progress...actually, it's the second sock in the pair. Almost done! The yarn is the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock that I was knitting my fugly Jaywalkers with. Ugh. Can you believe I got all the way to the toe on the first Jaywalker, and ripped it out? I had it on my foot, and my antipathy toward it--toward the striping, toward the blotchy pooling--was just so visceral that I clawed it off and immediately frogged it.

But now. Sigh. This is so much better. It's clear this yarn was meant for a sock with fewer stitches (60 as opposed to 75, or whatever the Jaywalker calls for). The pooling is now pretty and regular. So happy with it!

For today's post, I thought I'd throw in some random Latino-themed content, because after all, this is a Latina knitting blog, y'all:

* Did you all see this adorable Mexican dress pattern on the Craft blog? I've been wanting to make one of these for myself for the longest time!

* Jennifer and I went to Helena Maria Viramontes's book reading here in Austin on Sunday. I can actually start a gallery now of my close encounters with my favorite authors!



She's got a new book out, called Their Dogs Came With Them, which is about East Los Angeles during the 1960s, the process of razing that neighborhood in order to build the freeways, and the people who were displaced and forgotten.

* Have you seen how beautiful Madonna's daughter Lourdes, aka Lola, has become? It makes me irrationally happy to see that she also looks like a straight-up Latina (she's half, of course).

* And here's some Ricky Martin unplugged to make you irrationally happy. His cheese factor may have gone up with his English-language crossover, but when he sings in Spanish, he is nothing but pure, distilled hotness.

9 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Nice bag, lady! I'm with you--the more pockets, the merrier. I'm always amazed by those huge purses where it's just one big gaping hole to lose all of your stuff in. How do people ever find their stuff in those big ole pocket-less sacks?

And thanks for the Latina content. I'll have to forward your Ricky Martin link to my friend here who is so into him. (In fact, I just gave her a cheesy Ricky Martin T-shirt for her bday last week.)

BTW: to continue your Latino/a content, I just saw the documentary _Crossing Arizona_ last week. Have you seen it? It's really excellent, but oh so hard to watch as you move between complete outrage and complete heartbreak throughout.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Gosh! Lola looks exactly like her Dad! Your sock is very cute. I'm glad you found the right pattern for the yarn.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute bag!

Lola is a lovely girl!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger jennifer said...

i could watch that ricky martin video FOREVER.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger msubulldog said...

I had to rip my Jaywalkers, too. :( They'd been languishing on the needles for probably 6 months--and then I couldn't get them on! Well, I could if I really tugged, but I was afraid I'd bust a stitch. Just too much trouble for now. Maybe next time . . .

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger meg said...

LOVE the bag. I'm a big fan of lots of pockets, too.

You know I think Lola looks exactly like Madonna but the Latin version. Same eyes, brows, cheeks, etc... She's gorgeous.

I'm off to Boston tomorrow and one of the things on my list to purchase is a purse. Hope I have the same luck.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cute bag! I love pockets, too - whenever I make a bag I always include lots 'o pockets. Thanks for all the good links, too.

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Lord & Taylor! Did you get anything else cute there? I love that store.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that bag! I was actually at Lord and Taylor the other day and almost bought a similar LeSportSac- in leopard- now I'm having bag jealousy, and will definately have to go back and buy it! Totally with you on the pockets as well- so necessary to keeping one's sanity intact throughout the day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home