Monday, April 23, 2007

New socks.

While a lot of procrastinating goes on at Chez Yo La Tejo, some things do manage to get done.





Pattern: Madder Rib Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (I forget the exact name of the colorway, but it was something like China Blue, or China Stripes)
Needles: Size 1

Yay! Socks for me! After knitting three pairs of socks for other people, I finally decided to put some on the needles for myself. Selfishly, I've decided not to join Sockapalooza this year, simply because I want to knit stuff for me (and the occasional baby blanket for a new niece). Besides, my confidence in knitting something to fit a stranger who can't try on as I go took a hit last year; my sockpal never posted a modeled shot, leading me to believe that she probably couldn't get them on over her heel, but was too nice to say so.

As I've posted before, this is the yarn I originally started Jaywalkers with. I hated the pooling, ripped the sock, and then settled on a simple rib pattern, which shows the colors to much better advantage.

I knit the socks exactly to the pattern, and am not entirely pleased with the extremely pointy toe (I think Nancy Bush calls this the Star Toe). You need to stop knitting the ribbing about three inches below where you want the sock to end, which means that on my small foot, the ribbing ends about halfway up the instep. Also, the square heel doesn't lie flat, really, and kind of pulls down the heel (you can see this in the picture if you look closely).

Who cares? Ill fitting or not, I love them to pieces. Sadly, they will have to get tucked away for next winter, since it's flip flop weather here already. Don't hate! :-)

I leave you with a clip from Angel that makes me giggle every time I watch it (I think I'm only on my fifteenth view). I switched to Angel after my crack dealer friend with every Buffy season on DVD couldn't find the fourth season to loan me. In desperation, I told her I'd take the first season of Angel. I don't like it as much, but find myself developing a huge crush on the brooding, tortured vampire. (Brooding? Tortured? What's not to love?) Which are the qualities that make this video such a hoot.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Cute socks! Cute socks!! I say, live on the edge - wear them with sandals! I dare you - I double dare you! ;-)

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

that dancing scene is hilarious! it almost made me laugh as hard as i did for the dancing scene in the movie "hitched" (i think that's what it's called--the one with will smith and the guy from "king of queens").

cute socks girl! you should definitely make stuff for you more often.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Karen said...

They look great! I think frogging and changing the pattern was the right thing to do, because those are absolutely gorgeous. It's like the colorway way dyed for that pattern!!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the socks! I also love Angel. I've started watching Bones because I like David Bornaez(sp?).

I almost always change heels and toes to the ones I like to do on socks. I just can't help it, the eye of the partridge heel and regular toe (I honestly don't know the name of it) work the best with my feet.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Love the sweet purple-y socks!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Yay! I'm glad that you found the right pattern to work with the yarn.

And since you've been brave enough to put it out there, I too will confess to my crush on our tortured brooding vampire friend. I own Season 1, and have been netflixing both the rest of the seasons and Bones to get my fix. Sigh. Big dumb lunk.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger PCR said...

The yarn looks fantastic with that pattern.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Love the yarn and the pattern!
They look great!
I have to confess, I have never watched Angel......I will have to start, that clip is hilarious!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Love, love, love those socks. I am going to have to remember that pattern ... it is fab with the LL.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ooooh, pretty socks. The colors are so delicate. I'm currently working my way through Buffy - I just started season 4 - and suspect I'll have to get Angel next. I'm not usually one to crush out on actors, but that David Boreanaz is a hottie.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Thanks for more fun video links/clip--although the Ricky Martin one you posted earlier has been taken down. This made me sad as I found myself going back to it time and again. (ahem.)

And hey lady, those are some dandy socks. Nice work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home