Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Possibly the most beautiful thing you will ever see on this blog.

Two skeins of Tilli Tomas's Pure and Simple, and a third of Disco Lights. It's the Sahara kit from kpixie.This was the bundle of self-indulgent yumminess that was waiting inside that priority mail package the other day. I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging for so long! I wanted to post about this right away, but the grading of student papers is totally cramping my style right now.

I'm not usually this extravagant, but this is a special package. I was emailing with Ashley a while ago about feeling blue due to some personal stuff that's been going on, and offhandedly mentioned that a trip to the LYS might improve my mood. Ashley, being the amazingly sweet, generous person that she is, sent me yarn therapy, in the form of a kpixie gift certificate.
I should say that Ashley is the only knitblogger I know in person, and that's because we met in graduate school. We were friendly, but I feel like I've really gotten to know her since she got her job as a real professor (yay!) and moved away (boo!)...and we began to read each other's blogs.

We commiserate about Texas, and Willie Nelson, and Nature's Most Perfect Food. I'm glad that I'm able to keep up not only with her creative genius, but also with updates on her adorable nephew, and of course, Bailey (do I even have to post a link? Girl has the best banner ever). Your thoughtfulness humbles me, Ashley. Thank you so much! I'm lucky to have found such a good friend in you.

Needless to say, when I got the kpixie email., I was completely floored and literally moved to tears. After I pulled myself together, I went yarn shopping! I decided to go all out and use Ashley's gift towards this kit, which was on sale for the short sleeve Sahara, in this hibiscus color and another pale yellow color.

Clearly, pure silk is the best kind of mood enhancer. This is how beautiful it is: I cast on provisionally and knit the first row instead of purled, which is how the instructions tell you to start. I'd gotten all the way to the armhole shaping (37 rows), realized my mistake, and happily frogged back without a second thought. Would my mistake have mattered? Probably not. Could I have continued? Sure. But I got to knit that section again. With that yarn.

In fact, this yarn is so magical that I fully expect that it will make me look exactly like that otherworldly, glowy-eyed nymph in the ad.

16 Comments:

At 3:24 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Wow! That's some seriously beautiful yarn. And you'll look much better in the sweater than that scrawny little thing in the photo. :)

Sorry to hear that you've had the blues...and hope you are feeling better. ::hugs::

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

So wonderful to have a friend like Ashley!

I so so so love the Sahara! Your color choice is so beautiful! I can't wait to see this knit up!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Karen said...

That was so worth the wait!!! What a wonderful gift - and I'm so glad it helped brighten your mood. You are far to sweet to be feeling blue. And I think you look better than that model any day - she has that blank stare on her face that makes her look out of it. You always look beautiful AND SMART!!

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, officially delurking! I just had to when I saw that yarn and the pattern. . pretty. I just recently learned about the pattern on Pepperknit's blog and loved it from the get go.

Enjoy knitting that beauty and hope it runs those blues away!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Awwwww--sniff! I KNOW! Who knew that when we were chatting by the coke machines in Parlin that we'd become freinds once we were 100 miles apart, because of knitting? Oh, knitting. It brings people together.

The yarn is GORGEOUS, and the color is going to be just beautiful on you. I can't wait to see it knit up! xoxoxo

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, i never used to believe in retail therapy. and then i started knitting. i've only gotten to use yarn-buying-as-a-picker-upper once so far, but it sure did help!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger msubulldog said...

Ah, magic yarn--the perfect cure. :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Oh sniff. I'm sorry to hear that you were blue, but glad to hear that people like Ashley exist in the world, and that yarn like that exists too. You're going to be smokin' hot in that top, dear girl.

BTW: Grading is kicking my ass these days too but I should be done after today. Yay!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Nothing better than good friends! That is some lovely yarn.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger PCR said...

The yarn is beautiful and that color is going to look gorgeous on you! Isn't it nice to have such thoughtful friends?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! That was an awesome gift from Ashley. I can't wait to see what it looks like knitted up. The pink will look lovely on you.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger meg said...

lovely yarn! so lovely.

and what a great friend to have.

can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I think the title to this post should be, "Just one more of the many beautiful things you see on this blog." The yarn is very pretty - I can't wait to see the finished sweater. Nymph - schmymph! Real women have curves!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger kathy b said...

Olga

That is such wonderful yarn. Sure to cure what ails ya!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

P.S. You're it! (Check my blog)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Random acts of kindness can do wonders...how wonderful of Ashley. That pink is gorgeous! I can not wait to see that knit up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home