Wednesday, July 25, 2007

80 degrees and wooly.

Hey, kids! I've finally emerged from Ravelry! (For my sweet non-knitting faithful readers who come here to keep up with me and not my projects, Ravelry is like a Friendster, for knitters.)

I haven't really posted very many of my own projects, but it's taken some great willpower to not browse endlessly. In spite of my excellent restraint (cough! ahem.), I came across Marnie's gorgeous version of Annie Modesitt'sCorset Top ), and have decided to add that to my must-knit list.

This is the kind of thing that Ravelry was built for, I suppose--I'd never seen Marnie's FO, despite having been a long-term reader of hers. But on Ravelry, I was browsing the pattern and came across Marnie's corset, and completely fell in love. I had no intention of knitting that project anytime soon. But today, I even ordered the same yarn Marnie used, Filatura di Crosa Brilla, which is on sale at Elann! Monkey see, monkey do.

In the meantime, this is all the knitting I've been doing. Eighty degrees and humid in Austin, and I've been knitting with Malabrigo: a warm cabled hat as a thank you gift for the enabler friend who's been loaning me her Buffy DVDs.

DSC03353

M's leaving for a fancy university teaching job up in Wisconsin, so I thought she might be able to use a nice cabled hat. I know there's a billion hat patterns out there, and a million cable patterns, but I've used this one twice and have been pretty pleased with it.

DSC03355

Here's a gratuitous shot of the yummy ball of Malabrigo I used, in the Hummingbird colorway:

Malabrigo

I had been trying to eke a hat out of half a ball of Malabrigo I had lying around, but after two attempts, decided to suck it up and hit the LYS and maybe find some nice Manos. To my surprise/delight/astonishment (pick your favorite superlative), Hill Country Weavers had stocked up on some Malabrigo! Hurray! Hurrah! There weren't a whole lotta colors to pick from, but the saleswoman said that they were testing it out and would probably order some more stock. They even had laceweight!

I think my life is complete now.

8 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Ooh, I heart Malabrigo sooo much. Every time I hear/read the words "Malabrigo laceweight" I start to feel a little faint. :)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

cute! winter accessories are so fun, even if it is hot and humid!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute hat! Malabrigo is so yummy.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

80? Why, that's practically winter! Maybe you DO need a hat! But that's perfect for M--I can totally see her in it. (...i'm assuming, based on the very small number of Buffy-fanatic, Wisconsin job-having Ms I know in Austin.)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Ariel said...

Hey! Just found you through Karen at Mostly Self-Tought Knitter, and I'm so happy she linked to you - Thoroughly enjoying the blog!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Twinkerbell said...

Love the colorway! The hat turned out really cute. Congrats on your Rockin' Girl Blogger :)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger meg said...

I think I gifted that exact colorway to my catsitter and she's knitting a scarf in it right now. Love me some Malabrigo. The hat came otu so cute.

I can't wait to make a run up there and try out the laceweight.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

I too am finding all sorts of things I want to make (like RIGHT NOW!!) on Ravelry. And your Malabrigo hat is so sweet: looks like the Buffy-knitted hat is a sucessful trade for all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home