Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cotton-knittin' blues.

Thanks, sweet readers, for your comments on my finished lace tank! I got some great ideas for layering it and wearing it into the fall (although the only layering I can possibly consider right now that it's still 92 degrees is the kind that lasagna does. Mmmm...)

And the warm weather knitting continues to drag on here at Chez Yo La Tejo, as progress on this baby cardigan goes slowslowslow:



I don't think I've blogged much about this project; it's Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater pattern from Greetings From the Knit Cafe. It's for my baby niece, and I specifically looked for a kimono-style pattern because they're just so darn cute. I found the yarn in the sale bin at my LYS; it was part of a Classic Elite sweater kit so old that they couldn't even tell me if the company made that yarn anymore.

It was in perfectly good condition, so I happily started the six month size, but the closer I got to finishing, the more unsure I became about the measurements. Specifically, I think the gauge is off (but because it's for a baby, I thought, heck. It doesn't have to fit like couture.)

Plainly speaking, though, I think it looks a little weird. Like it's going to be too long, and have these little mini-sleeves dangling off the top, to make my poor niece look like Randy bundled in his snowsuit in A Christmas Story.

I was on verge of ripping it out, before I started the first sleeve. After months of work, I really don't like the way the slit gaps in the back...but then I said the hell with it. Ya basta. Enough. I want to knit with wool. So I'm gonna finish this little sucker.

I'm off to knit.

8 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger elizabeth marley said...

I'm with you on the wool craving. When the hell is fall going to come around so I can feel a little less crazy with all of this wool sitting around?

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Well, I do hope it fits your niece, but really, wouldn't it be kind of awesome if she did look like Ralphie? I mean, there's only so long you can dress them in ridiculous ways and take pictures to taunt them with in their teenage years.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I find that baby sweaters always look weirdly sized to me, even when finished. Probably because I have no idea what size babies actually are. so I wouldn't worry about it - I'm sure it'll be cool and unique and it'll fit her at some point.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger meg_knits said...

The way I see it you can never have too many baby sweaters on hand - ALWAYS useful. So even if you don't want to give it to your neice, it can go to someone else!

Hope you see some cooler weather soon!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I wouldn't worry too much about a perfect fit on an infant. They grow so fast, and spit up so much. I think it's cute!

And I'm feeling you on the wool craving. I've got it bad too.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

I love it.....I have always loved that sweet pattern....glad you are sticking it out!

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

neat construction!
What size are you making? I can measure Kailey or some of her older clothes and hopefully give you an idea if the sweater is going to be too long.
mistress_stash_enhancer (at) yahoo (dot) com

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

It looks great so far and I love the creamy color. I can't wait to see it finished.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home