Tuesday, December 04, 2007

No dissertation yet, but there's been some knitting.

How can I account for my time? It's easier to answer that question from you guys, than if it were coming from my dissertation advisor. I'm taking a cue from Kate, and posting my month and a half in pictures, because there is no possible way I could catch up otherwise.

I finished my niece's sweater, (Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater, from Greetings from the Knit Cafe) and made her a little bag. I used this tutorial for the drawstring pouch.



Inspired by this, I dressed as Frida Kahlo in drag for the annual Dia de los Muertos parade; this year, they celebrated Frida's 100th birthday by calling for 100 costumed Fridas to lead the parade from the East Side to Congress Avenue. I had fun, but I discovered I make a damn ugly guy. Let's just say I enjoy being a girl.


I swapped socks with a couple of lovely women; Femiknitter sent me the Monkey, and I sent Ariel the Fancy Silk Sock. We must now knit the second sock, and given my current state of distraction, it may take me a while to have my second Monkey. Thanks to Femiknitter, though, for a beautiful first sock, and a new project bag that I love, love, love.



Elizabeth came for a visit. We got stinking drunk on margaritas, passed out, and woke up covered in yarn. (Just kidding. She came for Stitch, and we had a fantastic time and maybe had a couple of margaritas and did a little shopping.) She gave me this gorgeous handmade scarf.



In a fit of knitting ADD, I made a hat and a hat-like covering, and a couple of washcloths.



Cue the music...you know you hear the song, people. My Raspberry Beret (Kat Coyle's pattern from Greetings From the Knit Cafe Knit with Blue Sky Alpaca Silk--it took a skein and a little bit of a second. The book says it's only one skein).



And a Calorimetry, with less than half a skein of Malabrigo. I cast on 90 sts for this one.



A sedge stitch washcloth, the pattern which is available on the Lion Brand website. I saw Laura's and monkey see, monkey do, I had to pick up my crochet hook (even though I can't manage to hold the hook in any other way than with the Grip of Death).



And a fun little washcloth pattern I found on Ravelry. I knit this with Lily Sugar & Cream, I think, in really pretty ombre colors.

'Kay, kiddos, that's all I got for now! I'm going to try not to let too much time go before I post again...I'm working on Stefanie Japel's Back to School vest, and perhaps another couple of holiday gifts. Hope all is well with you!

9 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Wonderful projects! It certainly sounds like you've been busy. Writing a dissertation takes a lot of time. I love, love, love the beret!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Seriously, if I'd had another of those margaritas, there might have been some passing out... :)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

seems like a very productive month! i love that hat and the socks!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Wow, that's quite a month and a half!! I love it all. :)

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

Damn you've been busy this past month. I can't wait to see how your vest comes out.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger meg said...

That's a lot of knitting!

I love the beret and the Frida picture. You rocked the look.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Ariel said...

That is a very busy month! I'm going to have to pour over my Knit Cafe book again, because that baby sweater and your hat are so nice. Now if only my friends would start making girl babies!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Frida, and you look quite like her in that costume. Lots of marvellous knitting too!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the great knitting! I love, love the baby sweater and bag!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home