Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The espadrilles, or the wedges?

Do you all know that cell phone commercial, where a couple is out shopping, and the girl asks her guy--"what do you think? the hoops or the danglies?" "the espadrilles or the wedges?" And no matter what the poor guy says, he never gets it right. "the danglies???" "I think the hoops!" (Of course, he finally wins in the end with the phone he really wants.)

I feel a bit like that girl, with my hank of Fleece Artist Blue Faced Leicester DK: "Do you think the Clapotis, or entrelac?" "Socks, or a cowl?" Thanks to everyone who left helpful suggestions; I think I may have responded to each one with a different whim. First I was sold on the entrelac, based on all the fun everyone else seemed to have with it, but Meg thought that the variegated yarn might not do so well as, say, Noro, with it's longer color repeats. Now, I'm back to thinking Clapotis, not because I think it'll be a fun knit, really, but because I really want a yummy scarf, and I want to use all of the yarn, without any left over (there's a generous 500 yards in this hank, approximately).

In the meanwhile, while I dither away, here's a better picture of that fine woollyness:



In the almost-finished-object department, I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on the Back to School U-Neck Vest! Just two armholes to finish, and ends to weave in:



I had to rip out the back because I didn't do the decreases right--they're once at each end, while I did them as for the front, at every other end. If anyone is thinking of knitting this, be sure to check the errata, but also look at the Ravelry discussion boards, if you're on there. The pattern is sprinkled with mistakes, and when you get to the part about decreasing for the back, the numbers don't add up and they aren't corrected on the errata. It's OK, though, because you can just do an extra decrease or less here to make the number of stitches fit what the book calls for.

Got something else cooking too. Next up on the needles is a project that a friend asked for--a guitar strap. I took him to Gauge over the weekend to pick out the yarn, and give him a lot of credit for not doubling right back out. You see, Gauge has become my Cheers, where everybody knows my name, and since I haven't been there in over a month, it was all about squeeing and catching up and showing off my in-progress Malabrigo Easy Flame Lace Scarf
:


We also walked in on Lisa Shobana Mason's signing for her new book, Yarnplay at Home. She was super nice, and had on the cutest grey felt skirt.

Despite all the excitement, I managed to concentrate on the task at hand, and my friend and I picked out these colors, to reflect the colors of his favorite soccer team (Barcelona, I think?):




I also may have walked out with a new skein of Malabrigo, for a hat and neckwarmer. More on that next time.

I was thinking of swatching for the guitar strap a couple of different ways, one with a crochet stitch, and another with a knitted slip stitch, inspired by Anna Bell's tweed stitch belt pattern. The fabric should be firm and not stretch out too much. My gut tells me crochet, but I'm not too confident in my crocheting skills yet. Does anyone have any other ideas?

14 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

If you want to use all of the yarn then the clapotis is the way to go. I didn't love knitting mine (I used cotton) but other than hats/scarves I've gotten the most use (and compliments) out of this project. And I only finished it a few weeks ago!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Tee hee, I am SO that girl in the commercial. I do that to poor Pea all the time - he always wants to know why I even ask his opinion if I'm always going to pick the opposite anyway. Well, if I didn't know which one he voted for, how would I know it was the wrong one?? :)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger meg said...

i say clapotis. i can honestly say it's my most used and treasured handknit. it's so completely warm and squishy and can be worn so many ways.

also, i think you may have convinced me to make another stop at gauge. i haven't been since it re-opened and you said malabrigo! i can't resist.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

i love that back-to-school vest. such a pretty color! since i just learned to knit a couple months ago, i've been realizing that i might be more interested in the colors than the knitting...hmmm. maybe i just need more practice!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Whatever you decide to do with that gorgeous yarn will be lovely.

The Back to School vest is looking fabulous!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ooh, can't wait to see that U-neck vest! That little picture is positively tantalizing...

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

i love that commercial. :) taking any of the new knits to minnesota???

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

Did you start your Clap yet? Because that Kiri I just knit was with a little less than 500 yds of DK.....

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger femiknitter said...

Don't understimate the fun of the clapotis! I was actually surprised at how easy, but fun, I found the pattern to be. It makes such a great FO, too. So le Clap gets my vote.

That vest is looking great! I love the color you're using--it's going to look wonderful.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

An award for you!

http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/yall-have-made-my-day/

Reading one of your posts always makes my day.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger JulieFrick said...

Oh! Your raspberry vest is inspiring me to add ANOTHER wip to the pile. Do I dare?

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous insurance quotes said...

I love that back-to-school vest.

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Affordable Insurance said...

I love that back-to-school vest.

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Affordable Insurance said...

Love that back-to-school vest. such a pretty color!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home