Saturday, August 13, 2005

I just wanted to share a picture of Alison wearing her new One Skein Wonder:



Isn't she gorgeous? The OSW...a little sheer, perhaps, due to being knit up on needles too big for the yarn. But it fit her perfectly, which is probably the most important thing. It was a good learning experience to work through that pattern, because even though I am scared as sh*t of altering any pattern and hang onto the written instructions like a life raft, I think that this may be a good one to try out different yarns on (and therefore different gauges). What's the most I have to lose? Maybe a couple of hours of knitting. Big deal! I have some ribbon yarn left over from the
Ribbon Xback tank that might make a cute shrug, if'n I don't run out of it.

Anyway, we had a great time at the Bitter End, which is a fantastic microbrewery and restaurant here in Austin. I had a delicious salad Nicoise, but the real attention-getter on the menu was the antelope. Antelope? One of us did order it, and pronounced it very good. And not too gamy. Hmmm. We then got together with a fun group of people from the English Department at the Long Branch Inn, on the east side. I must be getting old, because I failed to close the bar down like I have been known to do in the past. I stayed till a respectable 11:30, and then headed home.

Some people may be wondering how the hell I get away with sporting an Academics Knit button, since practically all of my posts have to do with distinctly non-literary pursuits. (I think that there may be ways to intellectualize knitting. But shoe shopping?) Well, the answer to that is that it's summer, and not much book learnin' is going on in my house right now.

I spent the summer teaching freshman rhetoric and composition to 20 just-out-of-high-school kids, and although it was really quite the grind, ultimately I had a blast. I was kinda scared at the beginning of the summer, because the boys outnumbered the girls 4 to 1. And yes, sometimes it did feel like Romper Room in there, but the students were energetic, funny, and at times, endearing. Thursday was our last day, so I brought in pizza for my bunch, and we played a few rounds of knock-down, drag-out Trivial Pursuit. Yeah, I'm gonna miss 'em.

Some of you may not know that I left grad school for an extended break, because I wasn't sure that a Ph.D. was the way to go for me. But after a while, I realized that I really missed the teaching. I'm glad I came back.

2 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I don't think the OSW is too sheer. Let's face it, this is a summer garment! :) Nice job. Ribbon would be an excellent choice for your next one -- can't wait to see it!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Olga -

This is my first visit to your blog - you've got some really nice FOs! The sheer OSW is gorgeous, and I really like how the drop-stitch shrug is turning out... it looks way better in your photos than in the magazine. Looking forward to seeing it completed. And welcome back to the teaching fold (I'm a university teacher and former grad student - so I know whatcha mean about needing some time off).

Cheers,
Elizabeth
(from A Mingled Yarn)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home