Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gnarly knits, redux.

A variety of things to tell today:

First, thank you all who posted your honest opinions about the Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers from Stitch and Bitch Nation. It seems that the power of suggestion is a strong one, because almost everyone saw the veins instead of vines once I said it. I decided to frog it, because I also didn't like the way the sloppy way the stitches looked.

I then tried knitting a cable down the back, but didn't like that either because it pulled in the fabric too much. Finally, I decided to go with the Hand/Wrist Warmer pattern in a traveling rib stitch from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

Noro armwarmers

Sigh...much better. It seems that my Noro yarn always finds a tricky rib pattern that it's happy with: the mistake rib scarf in Noro Sumile, and the Noro Lotus scarf I made last year in this very same traveling rib stitch.

Here are some more pictures of works in progress:

Broadripple

One Broadripple sock for my mom. Soon to be followed by another, I hope. This was the Cascade Fixation Hawaiian colorway, which is bright and fun, except for the not-so-fun pooling at the ankle. It pooled in white! It looks like a big old bleach stain. Out of all the colors....anyway.

Cable hat

A cable hat in Cascade Pastazo. Man, this yarn is hairier than my eyebrows before a wax.

Finally, someone left me a funny comment on the whole Sweet Mary Jane pattern issue...this person had the exact same thought I did about wanting to knit it, went through the same hassle of looking for it on the Knitpicks website, and then found me through a google search. It's funny because I could have written that comment...it's like we're living in parallel universes.

But this person's comment came through as anonymous, so I hope she sees this post and emails me directly (the address is in my sidebar). I don't want to post the designer's email address on the blog in case she doesn't want that information made public.

And, by the way? Blogger beta isn't giving me your return email information anymore when I get your comments via email. Bastards! I want Marty McFly's version of the software time machine. Where's the flux capacitor when you need it?

5 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Laura said...

oooh, those wristwarmers look beautiful. much better than the hurry-up spring ones.

i think it is a murphy's law of knitting that your least favorite shade in a handpainted or variegated skein of yarn will be the one that pools the most dramatically. it's happened to me more than once. but i think your mom's sock is cute as can be. i love the broadripples my sockapaloooza pal made for me.

i am about to make the log cabin socks for my dad in pastazza! it is hairy, but i think in a good way.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I made the LMKG wristwarmers out of Silk Garden, and they came out great. Noro must like that rib pattern, because yours look fantastic too!

Re: blogger beta, come to wordpress. Come to the light.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Your are just too funny!! Hairy eyebrows. Flux capacitor - that's one of Pea's favorite movies. :) Funny stuff and great knitting - it's always fun to visit your blog!

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also made those wristwarmers from last minute gifts (in blues and greens), and get compliments on them all the time. Actually I usually get "can you make me a pair" and I just can't say yes as I'm slow and they took me about 8 hours to make (last minute my a@#!)

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Too bad about the pooling in your Mom's socks. I'd be happy to take them off your hands, if you want. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home