Saturday, February 09, 2008

FO: Back to School U-Neck Vest

Be careful what you wish for:

I've been fighting off the snifflies for about three weeks now, and just the other day, I said to my friend, You know, I'm tired of being vaguely sick. I need to either get sick for real, or really get better. Guess which wish the genie gave me?

Yesterday it was all I could do to hold myself upright on the futon, and I was only able to watch two episodes of Alias (separately, in small doses). Today, I feel much better, enough to work my way through two episodes of The L Word (consecutively), and blog this much-delayed FO:

Back to School U-Neck Vest






Specs

Pattern: Back to School U-Neck Vest, Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel
Yarn: Cascade 220, 2.5 skeins
Needles: 7 and 5

Notes: I left the bottom garter band off, because I'm just not down with all of the garter bands that Stefanie likes to throw on her designs. I like Greek architecture, but do I want to look like a Doric pillar? In the same spirit, I knit fewer rows onto the armbands, but left the neckband as written in the pattern. If you're planning to knit this, also take note of some comments I made in my last post about the errata.

It took me quite a while to finish this (let's just say that this "back to school vest" was an appropriate name for this knit), but mostly because y'all know how ribbing goes. I really enjoyed wearing it the other day, and see myself getting quite a bit of use out of it before it starts to warm up around here.

And that's all she wrote! Looks like a nap is next on the agenda...

18 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

So adorable on you. And I love your mods--just the right amount of garter bands. I totally agree with you on those, although I've never thought about it in terms of Doric columns, which, hilarious. And true.

I hope you keep feeling better. Since MLA I've goe from really sick to vaguely sick to really sick and am now back at vaguely. It sucks. I want my energy back.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger femiknitter said...

Your vest looks great--lovely color and perfect fit! Leaving off the bands was definitely the right idea--I think they should be used sparingly and it's the reason I haven't made many of her designs (which are otherwise lovely!).

Sorry to hear you're sick! That kind of long-suffering illness has been going around the law school here in Jersey, too. Feel better!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger la rebelde said...

love the vest!! i've been into the vest look lately too, although i haven't found "the vest" just yet. hope you feel better soon. being vaguely sick sucks!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sorry you're feeling poorly - lots of orange juice, hot chicken noodle soup and NyQuil, but not all at once. Love your vest; wonderful fit! I can't imagine 100% wool ever being in season in Austin. Does it really ever get that cold?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love it! The color, the fit, the relative lack of garter stitch bands = fabulous. I hope you feel better soon, for reals.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh, i LOVE that.
it looks fantastic on you.
hope you are feeling better!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Love love love it! It's super cute!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger melissa said...

i swear, i was never tempted to knit this until i saw your version. your mods are fantastic, and it fits you perfectly. love!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger meg said...

i swear, everyone is either sick now or getting over it (myself included). i hope you get through it quickly.

the vest looks fab on you. such a great fit and really like the mods you made.

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

Oh, I hope you have a speedy recovery!
The vest looks great on you. And I really like the color you chose as well.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger KODACHROME said...

Wowzee, I love your vest and the mods. And I'm with you on the Greek thing. When I wear my Forecast, I always feel self-conscious, like the Parthenon walking about.

Get well soon, dear Olga :) And I apologize for being MIA.

ox,
K.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Ariel said...

Love the vest with your mods. You're so right about the Doric columns! Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

What a beautiful vest! It looks great. I hope you feel better soon.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Me said...

Hey, I am your next door neighbor on the Knitting Bloggers ring and I just had to say that your vest looks absolutely beautiful! That color is gorgeous on you!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Beth said...

The vest looks great! Just like in the book.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger juicyknits said...

I love this vest! And you just convinced me to knit one for myself.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Ninja Mum said...

Sorry you're feeling poorly. Your vest looks great! Love it!

Homeowner Insurance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home